Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
Ohhh i see!:) thanks lol. Im still some reading on those lights. I want to have lights that keep everything in the tank. clams,sps ans lps...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well it's not just the lights, so get your credit cards ready, to keep everything you'll need a really good skimmer, a chiller, a 2 part doser or a calcium reactor plus a kalk stirrer, reactors for carbon and phosban, good flow such as tunzes, a controller for the tank, and a good return pump for the sump.
there's more but you can work on that list first.
if you read all those books you got and understand them you'll be in great shape :party:

give Zuska credit he's doing his homework :)

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
Ok I already have a asm g2 skimmer cleaned and all. Ordering from www.fostersmith.com a return pump and sooo much other stuff. my return pump will be Eheim Hobby Pump Model 1262. ordering stuff for a qt tank. what should i need for a qt tank? Im ordering a Stealth Heater 250W. Those are good I love them. Im going to use my 400 emperor on it. and a 150 seaclone skimmer. what else guys?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
with the seaclone skimmer you will be able to keep some mushrooms and polyps. that will be your first upgrade if you want to keep any coral with a skeleton.

I like the hang on box filters for QT's they let you change the media easy and they provide some flow as the water falls back into the tank.

what size are the main tank , sump, and QT ?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Zuska, If you want to hold clams and SPS you'll want to first learn the hobby. Get a tank and set it up with softies and LPS then move onto clams and SPS once your tank has matured a few months (5-6 months of you able to keep water params stable and in the right area's to hold clams and SPS) That way your tank matures and is stable enough to house the SPS and clams. LPS and mushrooms/softies are able to take a beating and still will grow back, most of the time when you don't want them to :lol2: (Xenia/kenya tree's). Clams and SPS tend to die and not grow back if something goes wrong. Whole colonies die overnight if there is a problem your not taking care of.

Take your time and make sure you aren't buying stuff that your going to upgrade in a few months. Buy more books too and do more reading before anything.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the lights are good. I'd say your at least a year away from keeping SPS and clams. they need stable conditions and constant attention. you can practice with live rock and soft corals while you learn the art of keeping a mixed reef tank. a tank of soft corals is just as beautiful and is a bit more forgiving than a tank full of LPS and SPS.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
well yea all I want to start of is zoas and some other stuff. im going slow but im going to let it cycle for like 3-4 month i dont want no trouble over the summer (HEAT)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
that's some cycle :) you will have to get a chiller sooner or later. if heats a problem in your house/apt then it's a must.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
ok answer me people!:) 40lbs of lr fiji. It was in a tank with ick. what do i do? fresh water dip? qt? what should i do with the lr make sure its not in there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: