Status
Not open for further replies.

medicineman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at that tank, i just can't help but be discouraged at all that wasted volume. i would take the damsel out and replace it with a couple of these to better utilize the volume of the tank

Hippo7_02.jpg

/sarcasm. seriously, any fish is too big for a 1 gallon

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
As aqua pro stated what a refugium is. I see it being necessary for your tank for two main reasons.
1) the extra water will help to minimalize swings in everything (however 1 gallon even with a 5 gallon sump is real small and stability might not be possible unless insanely meticulous and calculated.
2) Kepping plant life in there, so it wont overrun you tank. This will help to keep down nitrates and phosphates that will turn that little tank into an green block of algae that wont be so relaxing to look at.

Overall I think you will be much happier and it will be much easier if you get a 12 gallon cube or one of the slightly smaller ones. Allowing you more options and a greater oppertunity for success, as well an oppertunity to see a fish swim a little.

Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
What a waste.

Lets have another look at this. Try living in a closet for a month. We could check in every day or so and you would probably be alive so that means it is a good setup. And when you get stressed out just think about that fish in a one gallon.

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a waste.

Lets have another look at this. Try living in a closet for a month. We could check in every day or so and you would probably be alive so that means it is a good setup. And when you get stressed out just think about that fish in a one gallon.

Boy people just don't understand, and that comes from just looking over a thread and just picking up what they see that's wrong and not the whole story. I will say it again I put that damsel in that tank to help the water get stronger for the clone fish that I thought could live in a one gallon tank, "THAN I ASKED EVERYBODY ON THIS SITE "IF ANYBODY KNEW WHAT TYPE OF CLOWN FISH I COULD PUT IN THE TANK, AND EVERYBODY WENT CRAZY TELLING THAT THE TANK WAS WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY TO SMALL AND I RESPECT THAT, AND WAS LOOKING TO DO SOMETHING ELSE WITH TANK LIKE CORAL, SOME PEOPLE SHOULD JUST READ THE WHOLE THREAD. I PLAN ON PUTING THE LITTLE GUY IN A BIOCUBE SOON REAL SOON. Back to what I asked, I guess I need to start browsing over the threads and just quoting on all the wrong things that are said without reading the whole thing to see how many people are going to like me. Just read up to something that sounds funny and stop reading and trash that person, would that be RIGHT, I BET NOT. But let me be happy and continue my questions to the people that understand. Sorry again but some people are just close minded.

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
"what type of clown we should put in the tank" answer = the plastic type
"
should I put in a small Anemone to keep the Clown happy" answer = only if it's plastic type to match the clown

we are all trying to help ...

most people in this board is very helpful and knowledgeable so they say no fish in one gal tank trust them

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I believe most of the people are complaining about your use of a live healthy fish to cycle your tank. I've read every post on this thread, so I am not just picking and choosing posts to bash.

As you've already said ad nauseam, we know you aren't planning to put a fish in there when the cycle is complete. That being the case, you really shouldn't put a healthy fish in there to suffer through the ammonia cycle in the first place. There are more humane ways to cycle your tank and add the beneficial biological colonies necessary to sustain a healthy system.

swimmer

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we order fish from a pet shop that is on the other side of the US and that pet shop ships it to your house what do you think happens with that fish. Does someone sit with it on there lap the whole trip, I DON"T THINK SO, that little guy goes for the ride of its life.

#1 it gets pickup from your regular Fed-X or UPS guy that knows the pet shop owner and is a cool guy

#2 the delivery guy drops it off to the Fed-X location and the journey starts. it gets put on a conveyer belt that shakes the little fish in that little bag and that bag has no more then 30oz of water. all the way to when they put it in the truck and they don't place it down they THROW it in the truck and that truck takes it to the airport.

#3 that little bag in a dark box gets taken out of the truck and dropped on a belt and loaded on a plane and God only know how hot it must be on that plane. The flight that this little fish took is not any good for this little guy, how often do fish fly in the wild sea "Never'.

#4 Now that box takes a trip to the state of destination then step 3, 2, 1 is repeated. If that is not one of the big cities that they care about it gets sent to another states and trucked to the station of your town.

#5 now the box goes on a journey once again to your door and God, you and the pet shop is the only ones that know if the little fish in a 8"x12" bag is still alive. As far as Stress the fish gets stressed a few times before it gets to you house.

From the sea to the warehouse that holds the fish, to the dealer in the US that gets it to a pet shop for retail and final stop your home. WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW and at the same time it is shipped in a little bag that has no space for him to move in.

Boy and you guys are making a big fuss over a fish in a one gallon tank with a filter, skimmer, power compact and lots of love and care. I am on top of that water a few times a day. And like I said it’s not staying in that tank for long. And I know more then half of you guys and gals mail order so let look in the mirror and think we all do wrong by loving this hobby. There is nothing like having a Sea World that we put together right in the center of our Home. God Bless this Hobby.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
"what type of clown we should put in the tank" answer = the plastic type
"
should I put in a small Anemone to keep the Clown happy" answer = only if it's plastic type to match the clown

we are all trying to help ...

most people in this board is very helpful and knowledgeable so they say no fish in one gal tank trust them

He answered your question couple times that he is not putting any clown fish in because he respected our opinions. He already past that phase as you can see in his later posts.

Pc,
Anyway, if your intention to put the damsel there is for cycling, there is a better way-just fish food.
If your intention is to keep the fish there for just a couple weeks, I so far has no comment yet because I see experience reefers putting a 6 inch tang in a 15G QT which relatively is a smaller space. But I would try to stay away of putting him there because I just feel not comfortable. The fish last resort of telling you could mean carpet surfing. I would not want to risk myself of this situation. That's one thing I tried to hint you from the very beginning.
If your intention is to keep there for good, I would advise you not to.
I do understand your point of, we already did so many mean things to them by simply keeping fish in captivity and the journey they go thru, why don't we all just stop pretending being moral BUT if there is a better and more humane way, I think we should go for that.

Last edited:

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One gallon tank make big trouble, having fish shipped is even worst. BUT

When we order fish from a pet shop that is on the other side of the US and that pet shop ships it to your house what do you think happens with that fish. Does someone sit with it on there lap the whole trip, I DON"T THINK SO, that little guy goes for the ride of its life.

#1 it gets pickup from your regular Fed-X or UPS guy that knows the pet shop owner and is a cool guy

#2 the delivery guy drops it off to the Fed-X location and the journey starts. it gets put on a conveyer belt that shakes the little fish in that little bag and that bag has no more then 30oz of water. all the way to when they put it in the truck and they don't place it down they THROW it in the truck and that truck takes it to the airport.

#3 that little bag in a dark box gets taken out of the truck and dropped on a belt and loaded on a plane and God only know how hot it must be on that plane. The flight that this little fish took is not any good for this little guy, how often do fish fly in the wild sea "Never'.

#4 Now that box takes a trip to the state of destination then step 3, 2, 1 is repeated. If that is not one of the big cities that they care about it gets sent to another states and trucked to the station of your town.

#5 now the box goes on a journey once again to your door and God, you and the pet shop is the only ones that know if the little fish in a 8"x12" bag is still alive. As far as Stress the fish gets stressed a few times before it gets to you house.

From the sea to the warehouse that holds the fish, to the dealer in the US that gets it to a pet shop for retail and final stop your home. WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW and at the same time it is shipped in a little bag that has no space for him to move in.

Boy and you guys are making a big fuss over a fish in a one gallon tank with a filter, skimmer, power compact and lots of love and care. I am on top of that water a few times a day. And like I said it’s not staying in that tank for long. And I know more then half of you guys and gals mail order so let look in the mirror and think we all do wrong by loving this hobby. There is nothing like having a Sea World that we put together right in the center of our Home. God Bless this Hobby.

Let us enjoy this hobby with a smile on our face.

Last edited:

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
They make a fuss over things because they genuinely care about you and the fish. They don't want you to waste your money or an animal. I suggest you take their advice and not put up a fight as they know best in the long run. You should look into getting a 10 g tank and maybe if you get a small pair and try to get them to have babies you may keep the babies in the 1 g tank while they mature. I know it's frustrating when you have all these wonderful thoughts about your fish tank and they get shot down from first hand experience, but it happens and all you can do is improve your situation. JD

BTW a small Invert tank is also cool.. Maybe you would like that aswell?

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Is this all because you got a few posts about not putting a fish in your 1g tank?

if you find a fish that will have enough room to swim in that 1g tank that doesn't have crazy requirements lemme know =0) Only thing i can possibly think of are those 1/2" goby's that were shipped around the stores end of summer/xmas time. Everything else requires a pod population which can't be had in a 1g tank. The amount of pods that will be there in a year is prolly the fish's breakfast.

You can put one in, and probably will. But i feel sorry for it to live in the same cramped space it was shipped to the store in for the rest of its life.

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it just makes me mad that I asked for help and a few people thought that I was going to keep the damsel in that tank. My water was cycled and I just put him in there to help make the LR, LS and water stronger, take him out and put him in my new BioCube. I did take what that said to heart, that the tank was way to small but I put it in my thread that I was going to take him out very soon.

I just wanted to compare the one gallon to the stress that fish go threw when shipped.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
You are going to great lengths to justify the use of a fish to cycle your tank. But why use a fish to cycle your tank when you clearly know there are other ways - you used a shrimp to cycle your 10g tank. Using a frozen shrimp accomplishes the same thing and is far kinder to the animal. Just because the shipping process for a fish a traumatic doesn't mean that we should continue the cycle.

Furthermore, have you done research on damsels? I wasn't necessarily being funny when I said that the best use for them is for angler food. They are extremely aggressive and if you put too many of them in your 10g tank, they are going to start picking on each other. So if you are going to move this one to your 10g, what does that make - 3 now in a 10g tank?

I just think that maybe this endeavor could have been planned better. I am not against the 1g pico tank - but I think the other one you posted was done in a more planned, deliberate manner with fan worms and soft corals. Done in that way, I think your pico tank could be both successful and beautiful.

Also, quite frankly, I think you owe Kathy a more sincere apology. She was only trying to help you - as a saltwater veteran and a moderator - and your post was quite rude towards her; more so than to other people who gave you similar advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: