Status
Not open for further replies.

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it all started when my wife told me about all the other classes of the school where she works all have fish tanks and the kids from those classes call there fish Nemo. So we went out and pickup a little one gallon tank that we plan to put in a Clown fish, we are not sure what type of clown we should put in the tank. I was hoping to get some help on what type of clown would be good for a tank like this, should I put in a small Anemone to keep the Clown happy or what? Right now I am cycling the tank I used LR, LS, Nutra-SeaWater and a homemade skimmer. Last night I checked the water after running t for about 15 hours and everything was good today I put in one very small Damselfish and he seems happy (Thank God) I hope to wakeup and find him happy and hungry so I can feed him for the first time. Well I just put a picture of it in my Photo Gallery. Oh by the way I plan to give this tank routine water changes so don't worry I plan on taking care of it and soon my wife?s class is going to have the real Nemo:goldfish2. Wait a minute your not Nemo are you his stepbrother Momo.

DS:Hydrogen:

Attachments

• Picture 137 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Picture 137 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 434
  • Picture 178 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Picture 178 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 437
  • Picture 179 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Picture 179 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 433

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'm sorry but no fish belongs in a 1 gallon SW tank. And certainly not an anenome. You might want to research their requirements for lighting & tank size. And the same for a clownfish.

Are you saying this tank has only been running for 15 hours and you think it is cycled?
What readings did you get on the water parameters - specifically? Please keep in mind that you will get zero readings maybe even from the first hour as the tank needs time to build up the ammonia to start off.

Where did you get the LR/LS..and were they both fully cycled?

It would be best if you returned the damselfish to wherever you got him and cycle the tank using a small piece of flake food instead..IMO

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the LR, LS and Seawater from Johnstown and I was told that I can put in a small damsel, That's why I bought all the live stuff. I had checked the water right after I set it up and the readings were

Am-1.0
Na-20
Ni-0
Alk-300
PH-8.4
Water Temp 77

Today about 35 hours after

Am-0
Na-20
Ni-0.3
Alk-300
PH-8.4
Water Temp 77

Just now I checked and it stands the same as #2

This is not the first time I deal with Marine fish, I had a 120 and a 90 gal tank when I was living in NYC so this is nothing new, at first after being away from the hobby I felt a little lost but now I am back to my old self. I like to ask questions alot but that is the way to learn new ways of doing thing. If the fish looks a little funny the next day I will bring him back to the pet shop and give it a few more days. I work at home and I have nothing to do but stare at my tank and talk to cleints on the phone so I take good care of my Fish and Tanks.

Thanks
DS

Last edited:

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no clownfish, no anemone. get a bigger tank and better lights

Bigger tanks I had and they are not as hard, like i said before I have all the time in the world and I like doing things that keep my intrest and the Nano tanks are the way to go. In due time I am go to get a big tank but for know I want a few small ones. And far as light I have a HQI coming in the mail for my ten gallon, by Tuesday. So I am doing thing right, I mean no harm to the fish, Lighting for the one gallon is a 50/50 power compact and I am going to change it to T5 I plan on having at least three one gallon tanks:bagfish: :bagfish::bagfish:that I can display in my TV room. DON"T Worry Be HAPPY:lol2:

Thanks
DS:eek:rangehat:smokin:

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i would do the 3g pico...theres not much you can do with a 1g besides some softies...and no fish....i agree that it would be too small for a clown and anenome...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Welcome to the world of nano's. They are a whole different breed of reef keeping.

The small one gallon tank is not going to be very easy to fit a T5 above it without wasting light all over the place. I believe there might be an 18" T5 bulb, but that would be the smallest. Big waste of light. I'd sooner do a small clip on 70w MH. Put some nice frags in there and call it a day.

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this tank is not going to be displayed in my wifes class, because she is not going to have access to the tank on the weekends and the water is going to evaporate and Kill My little Bill. So we are planing a six gallon inclosed system. I am keeping it where i can watch it and keep you guys informed on how it's doing.

But keep it coming I like when people get all @#$%%^&&^*** Crazy:banghead: on me, it keep me on my meds.:argue: Don't hit me now:smash:

Let's not talk to loud the Damsel is trying to sleep. :shhh: :bablefish

Thanks
DS :biglaugh:

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of nano's. They are a whole different breed of reef keeping.

The small one gallon tank is not going to be very easy to fit a T5 above it without wasting light all over the place. I believe there might be an 18" T5 bulb, but that would be the smallest. Big waste of light. I'd sooner do a small clip on 70w MH. Put some nice frags in there and call it a day.

Your the Man!

At least you are open to new thing in the world of NANOs, I plan on putting three one gallon tanks in a row and shining a T5 over all three.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Your the Man!

At least you are open to new thing in the world of NANOs, I plan on putting three one gallon tanks in a row and shining a T5 over all three.

Are they going to be species tanks? One gallon species tanks is smaller than most holding systems. Glad to hear you're talking about it first. Lots of good information to be found and less mistakes to (read save money) make.

swimmer

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Never do 1G for marine stuff before so no comment on that.

I had a Clown Yellow in my smallest 2.5g.
http://aquaprobuilder.sunsun-usa.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5
I use LEDs for that tank.

I would suggest you to go LED if space is a big issue. You can pack more light than MH in a smaller space.

Well, I would also NOT put a live animal in if I am not sure the chemistry of the tank is stable. To cycle a tank, I only use dead organics like fish food. If your live rock and live sand are from mature tank, it may take out the ammonia in the cycling alright but to handle the bio load of a damsel could be difficult. It's likely the damsel will carpet surf for such open top.

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one Great Site, everybody on MR really care about the hobby. There is nothing better then getting information from a bunch of people that love the marine world in a tank, and are not afraid to speak up on how they feel. So far this has been the best thread I put in MR. So keep it coming I like to hear how you guys and gals feel about a one gallon tank in the art of Reef. Boy my one gallon feels discriminated becuase he is little. It's Ok my one gallon:bagfish:, I still love you:cheekkiss and so dose Bobo :fight2: we will not give up on you. :inlove:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you can do a one gallon tank easy, just use a 20 gallon sump :D

but really I think a one gallon tank would be more challenging than a 120 gallon tank.
the water would be subjected to very fast temperature changes and salinity swings.
I've seen small tanks before, but they have been stocked lightly with species that are pretty durable. I've never seen fish in a tank that small. it's always been soft corals and some tough inverts.

pclittlereefcreations

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I am again, just to keep you posted on what is going on with my one gallon. I been keeping a close eye on the tank from close and far, on the first day about six hours after I put in the damsel I tryed to feed him just one brine shrimp but he did not want to eat so I took it out. At about 8:30am I tryed it again and BINGO swim out and ate it up so I put in a few more just to get him started. So far so good and looking to do better. Here are a few pictures of Little Swim Swim Bobo Bingo Jr. Now let me take a :tub: and just wait for cleints to call me and look at my little tank.:givebeer:

Attachments

• Picture 180.jpg
    Picture 180.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Picture 182.jpg
    Picture 182.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: