Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have two of these little gobies and they always hated each other. Now all of a sudden they "like" each other, "A Lot" and this one is pregnant as all fish should be. They will spawn soon as all healthy, paired fish will.

thumbnail.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That makes three breeding pairs of fish you have in your tank now?

Fireclowns, Watchmans, Rainsfords, Citron Gobies, soon sunburst anthius so four and soon five.
My male bluestripe pipefish was killed by my very large Janss pipefish so that stopped them from spawning.

Alfredo I forgot when I got that Janss pipefish but I had him before I moved here 2 years ago so he may be five years old. I also forgot when I got that bluestripe pipefish.
I don't specifically feed them anything special.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
We were in Sicily a few years ago looking for my Grand Father's house. He came here in about 1902. So we hired this guide. She was about 18 and looked like Gina Lollobrigida with the boots, leather vest, hair, ear rings, all sorts of make up, a cigarette and her cell phone taped to her head...
Haha what a great story, Paul. Glad to see you, the family, and tank all doing so well. To retire in Sicily with a reef tank would be quite the dream.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A few minutes ago I was typing here, probably some nonsense and I started smelling something. It smelled fishy. I turned around and my tank looked like I was making egg nogs in it. The water was all cloudy and I could barely see the back glass.

I said to myself OMG, my tank is crashing and I should have listened to Humblefish and quarantined everything.
I quickly looked for something dead. But I just fed the fish 15 minutes ago and everything looked fine. Besides, my fish don't die, they are kind of immortal. :rolleyes:

As I was looking for the cause, I noticed a huge, white cloud exuding from under one of my large anemones.
At first I thought it was spawning, but anemones don't spawn like that. They split, like this one has done three times.
Urchins spawn exactly like that and have a few times but although I have a large long spined urchin he was on the other side of the tank.

There are no corals under the anemone because like Duh. they would be stung to death.
The anemone is the only place that white "misty" stuff could have come from.

I quickly got out my diatom filter and hooked it up to the tank.
It is starting to clear up and the sponges should suck up the rest.

This may be a common occurrence in my tank because contrary to popular opinion, I have a life and don't look at my tank all day.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
thumbnail.jpg

I love these Janss Pipefish and I have had this one for 5 or 6 years. These guys are very colorful and can eat surprisingly large prey. This one only eats frozen Mysis. He occasionally tries to eat a live worm but always spits it out. I would also. :sick:

Most pipefish have tiny mouths where only the front opens, but this one's mouth opens like a Barracuda and the entire snout opens.

I wish I could get more of them but I have only seen them in a store once,and I bought him. I am not sure if they are rare of if stores just don't order them. Maybe they are considered difficult. I don't think he was very expensive, maybe $25.00.

I go in these stores with a pocket full of money but they all have the common tangs, angels and wrasses.

I had two of them but they were probably both males as this one killed the other one quite quickly and he also killed my male blue striped pipefish bu almost biting him in half.

My female pipefish keeps trying to spawn with him, but that ain't gonna happen as she is like 2" and he is about 7" .

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This morning at 6:00am I went to a doctors office for an endoscopy. Yes, Sunday morning at 6:00 am. What kind of Doctor works on a Sunday much less at 6:00 in the morning?
It was just a routine thing and if you live long enough they send you for all sorts of fun things. I especially enjoy the colonoscopies. :sick:

Luckily, you only have to go for colonoscopies like every 4 or 5 years until you are about 70. Then you don't have to go anymore because they figure you are going to croak soon anyway so why bother?

The last endoscopy I had was probably 35 years ago. I forgot why they did it then but, they didn't knock you out. They just stuck this camera on a tube up your nose, where it goes down your throat and chocks the crap out of you while the "Doctor" who barely spoke English keeps yelling at you to keep swallowing. If you weren't flailing your arms about from choking you would have them around the Doctors neck choking him. :cautious:

At least this time they knocked me out which was a very pleasant experience and I love getting anesthesia as I had (I think) 28 surgeries. All for silly things like broken bones, torn and dislocated things. Of course if you are a computer programmer, web site developer or some other sitting down job, you may not have the "manly" experience of tearing and breaking things.

Before they knocked me out, I reminded them to make sure they used the correct tube on me and not the Colonoscopy tube. o_O

The first colonoscopy I had was also not very pleasant because they didn't knock me out for that either. Maybe anesthesia was to expensive then, I really don't know.
But although that was not painful, it is "very" uncomfortable, especially when they have this cute, Like 18 year old girl handing the Doctor this 20' or so long garden hose with a light bulb on the end and he wants to stick it you know where.

There was a TV on in front of me and I figured that was to calm my nerves as I watched "I Love Lucy" or "Who wants to Marry my fat, Wino Dad".

The TV was not for that. It was for me to watch, In living color this camera going into regions I had no interest in seeing.

As I watched the TV screen the doctor says to me. Do you see that!!!. It was these Purple "grape" looking things and I knew instantly that I had either Bubonic Plague or Ich.

He said, that is the stuff you drank to prepare for the test. OK thats fine.

Then he says, Do you see all those red veins popping out all over the place. OMG, now I really figured, this is it and my life started to flash before my eyes. I thought about what my wife and Daughter were going to do. Who was going to take care of my fish and would they give them live white worms or throw out my reverse under gravel filter. Do they even know how to test for alkalinity?

Then he said: Those veins are very good.
I said Hey Doc. Start those types of sentences with something like Wow, thats good, then explain what it is.

A similar thing happened to me just before one of my torn rotator cuff surgeries. (I had about 5 of those) I was in the "Hospital For Joint Diseases" in Manhattan and they wheeled me into the operating room before the Doctor was in there and before they knocked me out.

To my left was a stainless steel table / workbench about 15' long. On it were large cro bars, demolition hammers, drills, saws, both hand and electric, drill presses, huge pliers etc.

After the surgery I saw the Doctor and I told him. Doc, something is very wrong. He said, are you in a lot of pain? I said yes, but thats not it.

When you wheel someone into surgery and they are awake, they don't want to see demolition tools like we break up streets with.
They want to see microscopic instruments, microscopes, tweezers, Thin spools of thread, bunny rabbits etc. Make a note of that.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
We now live in a condo and,they uncovered the pool yesterday but it has no water in it so swimming is difficult and noisy. The walls of it are also filthy. Apparently there is a leak in the thing someplace and they are repairing that. After they do that and fill it, I would imagine they will have to throw a clean up crew in there for a few weeks until it is cycled. I saw the maintenance guy dumping a few dead shrimp in there to start the cycle. :giggle:

Then when they allow us to go into the pool, we first have to dip ourselves in fresh water for 3 minutes in case any of us harbor flukes.
When they finally allow us to get into the water, we can only go in one at a time and before anyone else can go in, that person has to stay there by themselves for 72 days. If God Forbid a person is seen to have spots, the process has to start all over again.

This is going to be hard because many of the people have freckles. :unsure:

It' better be a long summer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: