Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I can't believe it, just now I saw a gecko goby in my tank. I haven't seen that fish in 6 or 8 months. I may have two of them. I bought two of them about 5 years ago and it is a fish that stays well hidden and I have never seen the entire fish. I only get a very quick flash of a tail when I shoot some worms near his cave in the back of the tank.
They are a beautiful fish, but no one sees them

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Paul, I just ordered a white worm culture. Going to follow your lead on this and give it a go. Can’t argue with your results over 50 years of reefing.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Timbo, if you are following my lead, follow it all the way. No quarantine, no medications, no Rap music.
Live bacteria in food like fresh or freshly frozen clams or live worms. No dry foods including pellets.
Making the transition sir. Ordered LRS food so I can use that as secondary to the live worms. Will certainly also give the clams a go. I am at the grocery store enough that I can pick some up and split them with the fish.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't know why they can't make these things last longer. I just had to replace the fan on the left. I don't know how long it wasn't working but you can see that it is much cleaner then the one on the right so maybe it never worked.
I have a few of these broken lights so I have a nice supply of fans.

I had to add a new fan but also the wiring to the fan didn't work so I just had to splice the new fan to the old one.
It's not a big deal but shouldn't happen.

064.JPG

aclman88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Paul, I’m curious about your fish feeding. Do you feed clams, LRS and live worms at the same time or on separate feedings? I am currently using mysis and marine cuisine that I soak in garlic and selcon or vita hem but was considering switching to homemade once that runs out.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Good Morning. I feed mostly LRS food but I suppliment it with live worms maybe twice a week.
I also have some clams that I bought live and freeze them myself. I also add that but not every day.

I do not use any suppliments like Selcon or garlic as it is not needed. Putting Selcon on wet or frozen food is a total waste of time and money as it will float off as son as the food hits the water. Selcon will work on a pellet or flake but I wouldn't feed those to anything.
If you feed what I mentioned, you need no extra things.

I always feed the live worms after I feed other food because the fish like the worms so much, they won't eat anything after the worms. They will also get spoiled if you feed to many worms as that is all they want but I don't think worms should be their only food. I like those mainly for the bacteria in their guts.

aclman88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good Morning. I feed mostly LRS food but I suppliment it with live worms maybe twice a week.
I also have some clams that I bought live and freeze them myself. I also add that but not every day.

I do not use any suppliments like Selcon or garlic as it is not needed. Putting Selcon on wet or frozen food is a total waste of time and money as it will float off as son as the food hits the water. Selcon will work on a pellet or flake but I wouldn't feed those to anything.

I always feed the live worms after I feed other food because the fish like the worms so much, they won't eat anything after the worms. They will also get spoiled if you feed to many worms as that is all they want but I don't think worms should be their only food. I like those mainly for the bacteria in their guts.
Thanks! I will definitely try some clams. I place a few cubes of the frozen food in a cup and soak in the selcon and garlic for the week or so that I feed it. Do you think it still leaves the food if it has the time to soak for that long?

For the live worms, are they relatively easy to culture? I have a little one with another on the way, so I'm not sure how much time i have to culture worms. Lastly, to clarify, the LRS is called reef frenzy?

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can use it and it won't hurt. But IMO it washes right off and is not needed at all if you feed correctly anyway. I also think garlic is useless although I love it in my cooking.

Chopped up some fresh clams the last two days and my fish went nuts for it!! I have never seen fatter stomachs.

LRS is being shipped tomorrow should have it by end of week. Also, worm culture is on its way, will supplement when the culture grows out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: