• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I copied Rich and glued some frags to the overflow,
It's what's left of a tenuis colony that bit the dust when I was away.
It was the first acropora I got, and it's the first coral that stn'ed in my care.

overflow.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I got tired of waiting for the rock to cure, I glued a few more things to the overflow. It's now my vertical frag rack :)

see Paul I did find a good use for it ;)

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
J tank looks awesome!!!i can't believe you did all that in less than a year, unreal!!!!you talk so much about the learning curve, it's obvious your way ahead of it.

i need a return pump for my 90g, would you recommend the quiet one pumps ??i'm thinking about the 4000(only 50w and they're on sale at fosterandsmith). what do you think?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks Jose, I just got a used CA reactor, and I'm hoping to have a larger skimmer built one day soon. I got a pvc welder to try out.

I like the quiet one pumps, if the 4000 has enough gph for your return, I would use it, it's hard to beat the 50watts. I have the 6000 for my return, it does not seem to add too much heat to the tank.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Test Results

This morning I preformed a full battery of tests.
I had not done this for a while and was curious to see what was up with my water quality after not having done a water change for several months.

Tests preformed from 8-9a.m.

temp- 79.4

s.g - 1.025

O2- 100% saturation

ph- 8.0

ca- 350

kh- 7.4

Nh3- 0

No2- 0

No3- 20-30 :wow:

Po4- 0

fe- 0

cu- 0

silicate- 0

Iodide- 0 (I think this test was incorrect as I dose Iodide and can't believe that there is 0 amount in the tank)

Interpretation:
I need to do a water change, and change the carbon in my sump, or get a bigger skimmer.
Also I just installed a CA reactor, so the slight yo-yo effect on my alk and ca should stop. I normally try to keep the ca at 400 and the alk at 8.

Visual Inspection:
The coral seems to be growing at a steady rate despite the high No3 level.
Could growth be better? Maybe.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yep, I'm part of the cali-reef club now, you need at least 30ppm of No3 to join ;) only thing is he has three of the best skimmers on the market, and I have a reef devil :rolleyes:
the Po4 did not even register on the test kit. so you tell me what the deal is. my tank at this point might as well not even have the POS skimmer on it. I know this should be discussed in the No3 thread...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
RIP Mr. Blenny

This morning I found my algae blenny dead on the bottom of the tank.
His throat area was eaten out and so were his eyes :(
He looks like he might have been dead for a couple of days. I did not notice him missing when I got home yesterday so I'm not sure what happened.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
jhale said:
RIP Mr. Blenny

This morning I found my algae blenny dead on the bottom of the tank.
His throat area was eaten out and so were his eyes :(
He looks like he might have been dead for a couple of days. I did not notice him missing when I got home yesterday so I'm not sure what happened.

:dead1: that sucks. That algae blenny was so fat and active too....:happysad:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
herman said:
It was that mutt of a pseudochromis. I know it. That thing is a mutt. Poor Blenny. How old was that thing?

LOL:Starwars: I think that blenny was like 5 yrs old. :bablefish

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't think it was the psudochromis, I never saw him bother the blenny, he did kill another psudochromis though, and did beat up the two anatheis that herman mentioned.

the blenny was about four years old.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
jhale wow great tank man... im very impressed... i think imma have to do u a favor and come over and frag the hell out of it.... i wont even charge ya.. lmao J/K i want alot blues like that.... i only have 2 blue acro's :( anyways great job J....

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
new FTS

well I spent a good part of the day rearranging the rockwork and coral to fit the new colonies in that I got from Steve. I'm still not done, I got to a point where I could not deal with it anymore and just placed stuff so it would grow. I think my tank is having some growing pains, I like all the things in it individually but all together something is just not working. also my rocks are making me crazy,

fts.jpg

wrasse.jpg

this is the green coris wrasse I got from Jim/house today, it's a great little fish, he never hid, even with my hands on the tank all day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: