JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Well here is my problem with Bio pellets. In the past 2-3 months i noticed my phosphate and nitrate is zero all the time. I did not pay to much attension to this because everyone wants zero P04 with sps. Well i been losing sps right and left and i think these pellets are to blame. I think there is just no food source in my water column. I always see my candy canes open during the daytime( must be hungry). I think this is causing my tank to starve. My colors are not what they used to be.I just started to increase my feeding cycle and stoped washing off frozen food. Increased frozen to everyday from every 2-3days. Adding these bio pellets to me was a wrong move. I think that i should of stayed with GFO.
Now my question is what will happen if i stop bio pellets and go back to GFO.
will i get a algea bloom??

Mikei70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well here is my problem with Bio pellets. In the past 2-3 months i noticed my phosphate and nitrate is zero all the time. I did not pay to much attension to this because everyone wants zero P04 with sps. Well i been losing sps right and left and i think these pellets are to blame. I think there is just no food source in my water column. I always see my candy canes open during the daytime( must be hungry). I think this is causing my tank to starve. My colors are not what they used to be.I just started to increase my feeding cycle and stoped washing off frozen food. Increased frozen to everyday from every 2-3days. Adding these bio pellets to me was a wrong move. I think that i should of stayed with GFO.

Is it possible that the food you are feeding is not of the correct size for your SPS? I don't keep SPS, so I'm just throwing this out there.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0

You reached a ULN system so there is no food source at all for sps you have to feed or dose a food sorce every day like AA trace elements orster fest every day . Now with you doing this your color will intensify alot . Thats the perpose of the pellet to reach a ULN system . And dont stop the pellets just start feeding your coral and they will be fine.

Last edited:

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You reached a ULN system so there is no food source at all for sps you have to feed or dose a food sorce every day like AA trace elements orster fest every day . Now with you doing this your color will intensify alot . Thats the perpose of the pellet to reach a ULN system . And dont stop the pellets just start feeding your coral and they will be fine.

whats ULN mean??
batt i have alot of sps colonies that are bleaching at the base, do you think i should cut all of them or wait it out.
I only used oster fest/ once a week and now going to dose 2x a day.
it's so said to look at my tank this past week with no words to explain...
i see why people get out of hobby when the tanks crash....:irked:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
whats ULN mean??
batt i have alot of sps colonies that are bleaching at the base, do you think i should cut all of them or wait it out.
I only used oster fest/ once a week and now going to dose 2x a day.
it's so said to look at my tank this past week with no words to explain...
i see why people get out of hobby when the tanks crash....:irked:

I here you just went throw RTN . Yeah frag a much as you can . ULN means Ulta low nutrient system . This is were you want to be when keeping sps. Yeah feed oster feast 2x a day buy some Amino acid and dose that 2x a week and you will see your sps come back .

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I here you just went throw RTN . Yeah frag a much as you can . ULN means Ulta low nutrient system . This is were you want to be when keeping sps. Yeah feed oster feast 2x a day buy some Amino acid and dose that 2x a week and you will see your sps come back .

i hope it will come back, its funny i fragged a bunch on sunday and it still alive, i guess frag glue can stop RTN

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
check all your levels, rtn from the base wont be from to low of nutrients, and what salt are you using. i've been using the bio-pellets for almost 3 months now and love it. i do have a kinda heavy stocked take though 11 fish, all but 3 are small fish and i feed 2 cube's a night to tank, i quit carbon and phos the day i started using the pellets.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of one bio pellet user that takes his reactor effluent return and directs it to the return side of the tank . He has been running vertex pellets since August . He is letting the mulm / bacteria plankton feed his corals. Anyone else tried this yet ?
I just started the pellets this weekend . I soaked the pellets in DI water . Seeded the tank with MB7 and Stability . Using a Next Reef SMR XL1 with 300 ml of NP (new formula pellets)) on my 70 cube . Yes that reactor is huge for my tank but it was the last one the guy had . It was sold to me for the same price as a SMR1 . Hard to pass on that . I will up the pellets 500 ml total in 2 to 3 weeks . Using a maxi jet 1200 wide open with no restrictions . It seems to tumble the pellets just fine for now . Before anyone asks, the outflow from my reactor is very close to one of my skimmers intake . I put the second skimmer back in for more oxygen .

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Snake Oil". I have been running 500ml of bio pellets in my system for 5 weeks. Flow is good, everything is moving and phosphates have been going up. Huge waste of time and money. Yes, I have been adding bacteria and yes the output is lined up to hit the skimmer input. Everything is by the book, except phosphates are 124 ppb which is up from the 100 ppb baseline day 1. I am beginning to hate my aquarium. Takes way too much time and energy. I have lost $10k in corals since I started, now we take bets on what will die next. I have drawn up a football type betting chart for each of my coral to betting on what will be next. "Snake Oil"

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Bio Pellets

I started my Nextreef reactor w/approximately 350ml of NP Brand pellets, numbers have dropped to near undetectable level for PO4, and approx. 10ppm Nitrates. I can live with that, my question is some of the pellets are starting to disintegrate/loss it's shape. Is this normal? Some of them are large clumps of matter no longer look like the little pellets I started with. Advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"Snake Oil". I have been running 500ml of bio pellets in my system for 5 weeks. Flow is good, everything is moving and phosphates have been going up. Huge waste of time and money. Yes, I have been adding bacteria and yes the output is lined up to hit the skimmer input. Everything is by the book, except phosphates are 124 ppb which is up from the 100 ppb baseline day 1. I am beginning to hate my aquarium. Takes way too much time and energy. I have lost $10k in corals since I started, now we take bets on what will die next. I have drawn up a football type betting chart for each of my coral to betting on what will be next. "Snake Oil"
At beginning of this thread I was skeptical of bio-pellets as just one more way for industry to make $. Read other's reactions. Pretty hilarious.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
For all the people that said pellets dont work . Yes thay do . The problem is alot of people say the TLF reactor works with pellets . Wrong thay dont the camber is two small the the grid plate hole are two small and get restricted very easy. Pellets need a big camber for flow there are only a few reactor that work for this. one is the vertex reactors dont now the rest . The other problem is flow the pellets have to be suspened in the water while tumbling not just tumbling on the top. The most important is you have to start with a low amount of pellets your par will rise with the pellets but thats the bac building up after 3 to 4 months your par will drop then you can add the right amount of pellets to your system. Do note that it will drop your ph a good skimmer is a must to keep ph stable and it does affect alk as well. So please test and make any changes as need . Pellets work very well alittle to well. so start slow or problem will occur.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
mine have been performing wonderfully for months now, with vertex uf-15 reactor and the vertex pellets, no complaints at all.
redwold you might have other problems going on thats not from the pellets,
one thing i find hilarius from people is you had a problem before and are using the pellets to try and make things better, well first you have to figure out what caused the problems, some stuff is snake oil, others arent. few people that said the pellets were a problem found out it wasnt the pellets { 2 people i know } thought it was and it wasnt. a good skimmer is a must with the use of the pellets

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: