T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
390   0   0
you don't have children do you?!?!?!!?.......you can scream all you want, they gonna do what they gonna do.......it will only raise your blood pressure.....lol

lol i was raised on spanking and screaming u can be damn sure my kids are going to get the same treatment...cause lets be honest, i didnt turn out so bad :rolleyes:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
vertex charlie, felix posted on another thread the problem with most reactors is the inlet and outlet size and the dispersement on the water flow

is the vertex the only one with larger than 1/2" ports?
since i already have the pm reactor, that's what i went with. i just increased the pump size from a 380 gph to a 600gph (with the valve open to about 2/3 to 3/4 ). now they're tumbling nicely.... with more reserved power if needed.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Actually the Next Reef Biopellet reactor has 5/8" ports, even bigger than the Vertex. The problem is finding 5/8" compatible plumbing lol.

DrHarry, check out my last post in the chemistry forum thread under the Nitrates out of control thread. I think the solution to decreasing your NO3 further is actually adding PO4 to your system. Just a hypothesis.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i use a mj1200 dialed half back, compared to the size of pumps you guys are using, why i said easier to just get a proer reactor.

Yes, high head pressure flow is very different from broad flow. You can actually use a less powerful pump with the larger ported reactors and achieve better tumbling. Good point Rick!

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Sorry Doc, my mistake. I thought you said your NO3 has been hanging around 5-10ppm and you couldn't get it any lower...

it was me---with about 10-15 ppm and been stuck here....it was lowered from up to 30 ppm. read the the red field ratio....don't see how to apply to your theory. feeding with high phos. food----i have been feeding my fish once a day but i have lots of fishes....big fishes.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
it was me---with about 10-15 ppm and been stuck here....it was lowered from up to 30 ppm. read the the red field ratio....don't see how to apply to your theory. feeding with high phos. food----i have been feeding my fish once a day but i have lots of fishes....big fishes.

LOL, I got the Doc part right, just the wrong Doc.

The redfield ratio is the ratio of Carbon, Nitrogen and Phosphorus in all marine Organic Life including bacteria. I was referring to it more as a reference than as a direct correlation. The bacteria that grows on the Pellets are growing at a rate that is limited to the proper ratio of Carbon, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus available.

What are your PO4 readings? My theory would only be valid if your PO4 readings are at near 0 levels. That would explain why your nitrates cannot come down any further. Because you have readily available carbon, and abundance of Nitrates, but if your missing the Phosphates, the bacteria will no be able to consume any more of the carbon and nitrates than the currently level of consumption.

If your PO4 readings are also higher, then its a different issue.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
LOL, I got the Doc part right, just the wrong Doc.

The redfield ratio is the ratio of Carbon, Nitrogen and Phosphorus in all marine Organic Life including bacteria. I was referring to it more as a reference than as a direct correlation. The bacteria that grows on the Pellets are growing at a rate that is limited to the proper ratio of Carbon, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus available.

What are your PO4 readings? My theory would only be valid if your PO4 readings are at near 0 levels. That would explain why your nitrates cannot come down any further. Because you have readily available carbon, and abundance of Nitrates, but if your missing the Phosphates, the bacteria will no be able to consume any more of the carbon and nitrates than the currently level of consumption.

If your PO4 readings are also higher, then its a different issue.

Would that mean you would have to dose something like additional phosphates to keep the bacteria active enough to bring down the Nitrates?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: