Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I'm using the TLF 150 plumbed into the return pump. Flow is good, no clumping together of the pellets, and with good results. Before starting I couldn't get my trates down. There must be other factors that affect the effectiveness of the pellets in different systems.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I'm using the TLF 150 plumbed into the return pump. Flow is good, no clumping together of the pellets, and with good results. Before starting I couldn't get my trates down. There must be other factors that affect the effectiveness of the pellets in different systems.

Give it some time you will see what were talking about

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my Nextreef reactor w/approximately 350ml of NP Brand pellets, numbers have dropped to near undetectable level for PO4, and approx. 10ppm Nitrates. I can live with that, my question is some of the pellets are starting to disintegrate/loss it's shape. Is this normal? Some of them are large clumps of matter no longer look like the little pellets I started with. Advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

Just a guess .

Prolly a flow issue in reference to clumping . What size pump and what kind of reactor r un using ? If the pellets are being consumed this is normal for them to get smaller .

kasha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
for those who are getting 'excellent' results, how much flow do you have? enough to move all the pellets, some of the pellets or none of the pellets? if you have expiremented with flow, please tell us how different flow rates affected nutrients and corals.

thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to break my reactor down the other day .
I had to remove the pellets and clean the plates .Small chips of the pellets were stuck in the plates . I also drilled two more smaller holes on the bottom tube for a more even flow .I cleaned the tubing of biofilm on a SMR1 XL . I have a Catalina 2200 I borrowed as a Maxijet 1200 could not cut the mustard . They are flowing like never before now. 500 ml's are being used .

ReefNut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ok,
I'm getting ready to start using pellet.From what I've read you should start out slow.Once established,then its ok to add more.
Question.
If the bacteria take time to establish why would it matter how much pellet is added initially? Vodka,I could understand because it is being dissolved directly into water but pellets dissolve as bacteria multiply???.
Am I off track on my thinking?

kasha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
in a perfect world yes, if you have high nitrates and phosphates than the amount of carbon you expose to the tank, vodka or biopellets, will dictate the initial explosion of growth. the theory of the biopellets is that it woudnt mater because the growth, be it an explosion or not, will occur in a reactor. in practice i would think of the pellets as more control than vodka but definitely not 100%.

either way, if you have high nutrients in the tank you WILL get a bacterial bloom, sudden drop in oxygen, sudden drop in nutrients, and shock to the inhabitants -> vodka or pellets

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Ok,
I'm getting ready to start using pellet.From what I've read you should start out slow.Once established,then its ok to add more.
Question.
If the bacteria take time to establish why would it matter how much pellet is added initially? Vodka,I could understand because it is being dissolved directly into water but pellets dissolve as bacteria multiply???.
Am I off track on my thinking?

yes start slow and keep adding every 2 weeks until right dose

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
well i am about 8 months into the use of the pellets myself, and just bought another bag as i have depleted about half of the 500 ml i started with. i still dont use carbon or phosban, my coral colors are on point my growth has been great.i do have a sps dominated tank. no negitive effects. i will say this, i see people when starting adding bacteria ect, there is no reason to do so, you tank has bacteria and once the pellets start to colonize bacteria they will start to work. people expecting over night results wont be happy, this isnt a over night fix. i didnt have high nitrates or phosphates when i started so i cant really say it brought them down. but few weeks ago borrowed friends hanna phos checker and phos was .003. i do run a nice skimmer and i do feed 3 cubes of frozen to my tank daily as well as have alot of fish. i do 10g wc one week and 20g the next week, i run no fuge. people want to quickly look at the pellets if there is a problem and blame it on them. when more then likely it is something else they are over looking. btw in 8 months i have saved more in not having to buy carbon and phosban then this cost me to start. plus i have a little extra in my pocket. initial cost was $150 got the vertex uf-15 reactor and 500 ml of pellets, so do the math say on cheap side of $15 for phosban i have paid for this almost alone in not having to buy it anymore

kasha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
can you post a good description of how much flow you have been using? do all your pellets tumble, half, quarter?

thanks

well i am about 8 months into the use of the pellets myself, and just bought another bag as i have depleted about half of the 500 ml i started with. i still dont use carbon or phosban, my coral colors are on point my growth has been great.i do have a sps dominated tank. no negitive effects. i will say this, i see people when starting adding bacteria ect, there is no reason to do so, you tank has bacteria and once the pellets start to colonize bacteria they will start to work. people expecting over night results wont be happy, this isnt a over night fix. i didnt have high nitrates or phosphates when i started so i cant really say it brought them down. but few weeks ago borrowed friends hanna phos checker and phos was .003. i do run a nice skimmer and i do feed 3 cubes of frozen to my tank daily as well as have alot of fish. i do 10g wc one week and 20g the next week, i run no fuge. people want to quickly look at the pellets if there is a problem and blame it on them. when more then likely it is something else they are over looking. btw in 8 months i have saved more in not having to buy carbon and phosban then this cost me to start. plus i have a little extra in my pocket. initial cost was $150 got the vertex uf-15 reactor and 500 ml of pellets, so do the math say on cheap side of $15 for phosban i have paid for this almost alone in not having to buy it anymore

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I started the Pellets today with XP pellets and I have them in a TLF 150 with a MJ1200 as the pump. I don't have a tumble as of now because either my pellets sink in one mass with the flow throttled back or float to the top in one mass with more flow. Any one hvae this issue when they first started?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I started the Pellets today with XP pellets and I have them in a TLF 150 with a MJ1200 as the pump. I don't have a tumble as of now because either my pellets sink in one mass with the flow throttled back or float to the top in one mass with more flow. Any one hvae this issue when they first started?

If it's already clumped up, you need to break it up first. After it's broken up, throttle slowly so it's a slow churn/boil. Who makes XP pellets, btw?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Ahh okay, that's what I run as well. Thinking of trying Ecobak when I run out...

Yea, break it up with a screwdriver or something and get the churning going. Not too a violent churn, but just enough so all pellets are moving.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: