Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I have no problem. And I'm not argumentative. You are. I am only expressing my opinion on bio pellets and this is the appropriate thread. Just because my opinion differs from yours is not argumentative. You have a problem.

Opinions? I thought this thread was created for pellets users to share their experiences; be it good or bad. I assume yours was a bad one from your posts?

Reading is fundamental. I suppose my GED education failed me, once again... :scratchch

6 weeks into bio-pellets, Vertex blend.
2-5ppm Nitrates
.03/.04 Phosphates

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Where were your numbers when you began?

Forgive me if you've posted them before, but the thread is getting too long to go back and try to find it.

No worries, I don't believe I posted my numbers before.

Before I started on pellets, phosphates were .07-.09. Nitrates was about 25ppm (Salifert Kit). Nitrates came down to about 10ppm in about a week after setting up the pellets. But I also dosed Zeobac to speed up the bacteria colonization process.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
No worries, I don't believe I posted my numbers before.

Before I started on pellets, phosphates were .07-.09. Nitrates was about 25ppm (Salifert Kit). Nitrates came down to about 10ppm in about a week after setting up the pellets. But I also dosed Zeobac to speed up the bacteria colonization process.

Nice numbers Widdy!

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Hey Tom great idea on using those!! Just cant find them because there isn't any Michael stores here in Qns.

i used square ones before and it was a bit difficult to cut perfectly even with a template. then i saw someone posted that micheal's sells the round ones....so it wasn't my idea...forgot where i got it from.....either rc or right here on mr.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
New Pellet User

I filled my new Nextreef SMR-1 reactor with approximately 750ml of NP Biopellets and fired it up with a Quietone 1200 (296gph)pump. Everything looked good, no leaks and had a nice tumble going. However, after a few minutes the pellets were not tumbling, they were just being shot up to the top.

This pump can be dialed down with a built-in valve in the front cover, that being said, I had to slow down the flow. Got a good vigorous tumble again, and the pellets began to fall back down. Day one. I will take some before parameters to compare in 30days and let evetyone know how Im doing.

Thanks

Tank Specs 72ga bowfront, 15ga sump (10ga water operating)- Heavy Bioload

Attachments

• biopellets.jpg
    biopellets.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I filled my new Nextreef SMR-1 reactor with approximately 750ml of NP Biopellets and fired it up with a Quietone 1200 (296gph)pump. Everything looked good, no leaks and had a nice tumble going. However, after a few minutes the pellets were not tumbling, they were just being shot up to the top.

This pump can be dialed down with a built-in valve in the front cover, that being said, I had to slow down the flow. Got a good vigorous tumble again, and the pellets began to fall back down. Day one. I will take some before parameters to compare in 30days and let evetyone know how Im doing.

Thanks

Tank Specs 72ga bowfront, 15ga sump (10ga water operating)- Heavy Bioload

did you rinse and soak the pellets?....that helps a bit. in the beginning the pellets seems to attract air bubbles and lift to the top.....once it's broken in/ "wetted", they become heavier and you would need to increase the flow.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I'm gonna start using pellets what reactor should I use and how much pellets will I need for my system I have 200 gallons of water

i use npx bio-pellets from gotham aquatics (they're on sale for 30 a 550ml bag.) the recommended dosage is 550 ml per 75 gal.....so about 2 2/3 bags. start with one bag then after 3-4 weeks add more.
as far as reactor goes.....get one that's big enough for 3 bags in your case. a little bigger is better 'cause you'll need room for them to tumble.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I use BRS pellets with their adapter from their GFO unit. The one thing surprising is the "huge amount" of flow this reactor with these pellets need to tumble. Not sure why. The GFO reactor without Bio Pellets would tumble very easily with almost no flow.

I did contact tech support, and just came to the conclusion that this unit with these pellets needs a lot of flow. If someone else uses the BRS reactor and pellets, I would like to know their feedback...

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the flow issue's with most of the reactors people are using is they have 1/4" or at most half inch inlets and that size will only allow x amount of water reguardless of how strong of a pump you use

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: