• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i dont use a overflow box i had it drilled and i am using a custom pvc L with a strainer reduces the overflow so i have to put it a lil lower in the water....

and another problem which im eliminating is the return that submerged in the water... which will siphon back up to that spot... im going to be doing a return over the top of the tank so it wont backflow... one less headache..

Last edited:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
Won't the sump regardless of how big the last compartment is, still only be able to hold X amount of gallons extra that will back flow from the tank?

The sump will still be holding the same volume of water if I'm not mistaken, now he just has a lot less room for his skimmer, drain pipe, filter sock, etc... I could be wrong, it's just the way I see it.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
yes it would.... i dunno kris im hoping this works out the way i think it is....

Tony, I think both ways would probably have worked. The larger return area, like you have now, IMO will make your water level more stable and make your topoffs easier and less worrisome.

A smaller return chamber means that the same 1.5 gallons of evaporation has less total volume to draw from. This will cause more fluctuation in your return chamber, possibly running your water level too low in the return.

I still think you did the right thing by adjusting it. Mike, Kris and I will not see eye to eye on this one. But that doesn't mean we can't be :grouphug: . :biggrin:

swimmer

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Tony, I think both ways would probably have worked. The larger return area, like you have now, IMO will make your water level more stable and make your topoffs easier and less worrisome.

A smaller return chamber means that the same 1.5 gallons of evaporation has less total volume to draw from. This will cause more fluctuation in your return chamber, possibly running your water level too low in the return.

I still think you did the right thing by adjusting it. Mike, Kris and I will not see eye to eye on this one. But that doesn't mean we can't be :grouphug: . :biggrin:

swimmer

LoL you bet your arse we still:grouphug: :D

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
masterswimmer said:
Once again Tony, good job. I think you did just fine the way it is. It might have been fine the other way too, but I believe this way will handle more backflow for you.

swimmer

Unfortunily this wasn't a good job and Tony made changes for no reason at all. There would have been no problem with back flow or needing to top off. The return area was 8"+ which is pretty large and outside of lower the baffles the changes aren't going to make much if any impact and will actually cut down on the area where the skimmer and other things are.

I think Tony just gave in to the pressure and made changes for no reason.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
marrone said:
Unfortunily this wasn't a good job and Tony made changes for no reason at all. There would have been no problem with back flow or needing to top off. The return area was 8"+ which is pretty large and outside of lower the baffles the changes aren't going to make much if any impact and will actually cut down on the area where the skimmer and other things are.

I think Tony just gave in to the pressure and made changes for no reason.

And this is why we each have OPINIONS.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
marrone said:
Kinda of funny you have problems with my opinion Russ buy you had no problems voicing yours before.

Twist it however you like Mike. I've continually voiced my opinion without saying yours was wrong. Just that I don't agree with it.

masterswimmer said:
Once again Tony, good job. I think you did just fine the way it is. It might have been fine the other way too, but I believe this way will handle more backflow for you.

Then you wrote:

marrone said:
Unfortunily this wasn't a good job and Tony made changes for no reason at all.

No room in the interpretation of your comment for that being your opinion, your comment was delivered as if it was factual, not your opinion.

Once again, I leave room in my statement for the reader to see that my suggestions are my opinion (the use of the term, 'I think':

masterswimmer said:

And bottom line:

Tonyscoots84 said:
marrone i feel better with the changes i made and will make me sleep better at night then it is a good job... it looks good and should function good.....

Mikey likes it!

swimmer

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Russ why don't you go back to where you weren't happy with the design. Funny you had a problem with the way it was setup and voiced your opinion quite a bit, which was against what Kris and myself said. But when I voice my opinion that there wasn't a need to change it you have a problem with it.

Russ all you comments where delivery as facts also, I actually wanted Tony to run the thing and see if would work, even Jose did also or atleast do the math to see if it would hold the overflow.

The bottom line Russ is you had a problem with me saying that I didn't think he needed to change the design, which is also what Kris said. And you can twist it which ever way you want. Funny how you said at the end that both design would work but that's wasn't your tune before.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
Something must be up? Is it a full moon today? :lol:

I still feel that you did extra work for no reason. It's cool though, just hope if you decide to do the recirc mod you won't have trouble fitting it all in there. Remember how tight my sump was and I gave the skimmer a 24inch compartment:(.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
This thread is not about you or me Mike. It is about Tony and the help he requested with his sump design. You offered your advice. So did I. It's very apparent that we're not going to see eye to eye on this topic. That's quite ok with me, as I'm sure it is with you too.

Tony got the advice he needed to make an informed decision. He feels comfortable with his decision. A couple of designs were put forth to him. Both designs might work. Thank you for noticing that after hearing your explanation I accepted the idea that your design might work. I am not pigheaded enough to think that my design or idea is the only one that's feasible. More than one design, as a matter of fact, more than two can work. The design Tony ultimately chose is the design that not only I thought to be better, but the end user as well. HE is the one that has to feel comfortable with his setup. NOT YOU OR ME. We can both discuss this till we're blue in the face, it's unimportant.

Tony, great job. Good luck with your setup. I truly look forward to seeing it in operation soon. I'm done with posting in this thread. If you need to discuss any of it further, you know how to contact me.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: