• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Good luck Bob. They don't call that Great "Kills" for nothing. :dead1:

Chris, I was out there on Saturday. My friend has a very large beach house on a nice piece of beachfront. I collected 10 gallons of water there. Enjoy the fluke, best eating fish we have here. The rest of the weekend I was out partying on my boat but the water looks scurvy and I wouldn't use it to wash off my driveway. Seen a bunch of dead bunker so I know the water there has a problem now but it will pass.
I am going down to my boat this afternoon to check the lights and what not. We are going out fri night and I forgot to check the lights last weekend. It will be a boat party weekend as all weekends. I got the Coast Guard safety check so I won't get stopped for an inspection.
If the water looks good I will do some collecting. Besides water I want some more snails and maybe some small eels.
Happy collecting.
Talk to you later.
Paul:bagfish:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I was planning on running the water here through a filter sock a to get rid of the particles but I am more worried about the boat traffic here or any problems like "red tide" but that are undetectable. I was planning on using a filter sock initially and then using a UV for about a week to remove any potentially harmful life and a few hours with a media reactor to remove any harmful compounds. There are too many potential problems I see and too many "what if" scenarios for to just jump in so to speak lol. I'm going to set up a 10 and either another 10 or the 30 I have sitting around and slowly add some frags of stuff to them and see how it goes. I plan on keeping a photographic log of everything. Although as a side note it would be cool to have some before and after bacterial analysis of a tank using ASW and then switching gradually to NSW from local spots.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Here is a 20L that has been all NSW since last summer. Most of the Zoo's were closed for some reason for nearly 2 months as soon as I switched to NSW last summer ,they opened and have been that way since last year.Not really sure why?? I will never use a salt mix again unless I have to . I just recently took this tank down and started another tank... a 58 gal which I filled using NSW from tne inlet near my house. It has been doing great also...
dscn0004.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Lfsmarineguy, it sounds like you are going to be too stressed out to try NSW. :bagfish:

I doubt a filter sock will remove paracites but a diatom filter will along with red tide. I doubt there are any paracites in our cold water that will infect tropical fish but I wouldn't swear to it. I personally never had a problem with local NSW except that some of the algae I get looks like the algae from the Sound and not tropical. The fish love it.
Good luck.
Paul

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Still looking Good.. Straight from Great kills beach to my tank 10 more gallons from the incoming tide... The calcium was about 380 though added some aragacrete to the 2 buckets for 4 hours calcium up to 400...ph 8.4... no nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, nitrite... salifert of course...400 mj in the buckets for that 4 hours... Time to slam...Sounds really harsh doesn't it???

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I live like two blocks from the beach, besides not being able to carry as much water as I would need for my tanks I worry about pollutants even in the incoming tides. But I would have love to have done NSW..

firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
where would one go to check tidal patterns? or can someone tell me when i can go to long beach? i want to try some inverts first. and suggestions?

cb747

How many is too many?
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hey Paul next time your collecting collect me atleast 100 silversides LOL Im now feeding 4 eels and a bunch of anemones. Time to collect my own food. A seine net is in my near future. :) Maybe when my buddy gets his boat back in the water ill collect NSW. I have no hesitation adding it to my tank.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A few pics of my 58 Oceanic I started about 2 months ago using all NSW from Shinnecock Inlet.I don't have a very good camera so the shots are not very good .Light is 175W M/H 10.000K... IMO.. NSW is the only way to go if you can ....
oceanic6.jpg

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks cb...
There are two unattached mushrooms in the cup. There is some veil netting over the top to keep them in while they attach themselves to a piece of the cup and then I'll cut that piece and superglue it to a rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: