• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
nice idea will. cut the cup. i use non-painted shot glasses. but back to the thread.. when adding nsw, depending on which ocean you get it from would that affect the "other ocean's" fishes? the two oceans have to be sort of different.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
that's kind of the point of this thread, the possible issues or non-issues with LI seawater and how to go about collecting.

Paul, I wasn't going to use the micron filter for parasites. It would just be to get rid of the larger debris from the collected water. I have been playing around with a "mini water treatment facility" on paper for a few days now and as soon as I'm not doing a million things I might build it to see if it would work on a larger scale so I can make more than 5 gallons at a time lol.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Chris, why don't you collect grass shrimp for those eels. You can get hundreds at my marina. Of course silversides are probably healthier.
I am going out tonight but the Sound is not looking too good so I will not collect there tonight. Tomorrow I will be collecting in tide pools in Port Washington but nothing spectacular.
Have a great day.
Paul

Firehazard, the oceans are slightly different and I don't know why certain fish only live in certain oceans but the chemical composition is the same only the proportions may be slightly different and of course the temp. The fish we keep don't seem to notice. I have spawned many Pacific fish in NY water just don't let them know where I collected the water. :bagfish::lobster:

Last edited:

cb747

How many is too many?
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Paul silversides are much healthier but those grass shrimp would work. They always seem to make the journey to my sump rather quickly but this time they may not. I have gutter guard on my overflows to keep my eels in the display. I have 2 Ribbon eels and 2 snowflakes. Everyone is eating :) Happy collecting! I may head down to port over the weekend for some snails and some shrimp too :)

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I just read the article about the Riverhead Aquarium tank, I have seen the tank and spoke to the guy in charge there. He gave me the back stage tour. I guess it's the guy in the article. Nice guy. I remember when they were building the tank and as a matter of fact a distant cousin of mine was the Architectural firm that built the place. They use natural water from Riverhead and it is true that it is lacking in calcium and alk. Of course after we put it in our tanks it is lacking in these things after a few days anyway and we know how to raise these things. The Riverhead water is the same water as Tahiti and the Caribbean. There are no walls and the oceans are well mixed. Just some of the proportions are diluted due to rainfall and river feeds. NSW also has vitamins and amino acids that is not found in ASW. No one knows if these things are important so thats a good thing but the fish eveoved in NSW so in some small way they may benefit from chemicals even trace ones not found in artificial mixes.

This is actually a fallacy. Though there are no walls in the ocean, the water from around the world does not mix like in a blender. There are huge currents and swells and if I remember correctly, due to these currents and local conditions, water in one area can have very different characteristics than water in a different current. The oceans water actually takes hundreds of years to make a complete circuit. I can google around to find the sources if anyone is actually interested. Due to these factors, and such things as runoff from rivers and manmade pollutands ( industrial, sewage and especially on LI agricultural ), NSW varies from place to place. Hence, Red Sea water has a higher SG, as does Arctic water, etc. I am not saying this weighs against using NSW, just we have to have the facts straight. Oh and it has also been shown over and over that coastal waters near most urban areas are higher in pollutants, especially nitrogenous wastes, which among other problems, cause algal and bacterial blooms ( Which is why many Suffolk beaches, for instance, were closed earlier this summer ), so to be safe you might want to collect further offshore and/or treat the water somehow. And even with tidal actions, the coastal waters are not completely cycled.

Last edited:

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Actually it's way out of proportion. From my study of breedings and raising frys, NSW yields 10 folds more than ASW. ASW is very toxic to frys in our tank.

This could also be the reason why more frys can be raised in NSW.

I dont know if toxic is the right word. Deficient maybe is the case.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I dont know if toxic is the right word. Deficient maybe is the case.

I think deficient would be the case. Anyway although our coastal waters have much more pollutants than the tropics due to as was said industrial runoff, fertilizer etc I believe it is still better than ASW. I have been using it for almost forty years and have bred many animals.
The Gulf Stream brings tropical water right to within a few yards from our south beach shores which is the reason we can collect butterflies, tangs and filefish off Jones Beach. Jones Beach water is perfect for our usage.
It is just a little low in salinity.
Paul

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: