• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
alrha said:
Jon, are those by-laws going to be made public?

i agree that there needs to be some sort of "membership agreement" when people register as a member of MR. The beauty of this site is the friendliness shared by all the reefers here.

Albert to answer your question,

yes the "rules" for posting will be in place soon.

I agree that there should be guidelines for everyone to follow.
Give us time, we just met last night and drew up a rough draft,
it will be posted in due time. There will be no surprises, it is basic common sense, and good internet etiquette we will be suggesting to follow.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
inkblue said:
:scratchch wiLL we need to re-Register in order to be 'covered' by these rules :confused:

no, nothing like that. this will be a posting explaining what the moderators will deem as not appropriate for the site. this is just too get everyone on the same page, and will be helpful for new members as they join.

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
u think, being all adults here that we wouldn't "need" by-laws for a reef keeping site, is upsetting, not only that, but to witness how ppl REALLY feel on such hot button issues...i feel :sigh1:

innocence lost...

...and change inevitable

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
unfortunately Mike that is the case.

but as I stated, these are really common sense rules, nothing will change.
the moderators, and other members, felt it was necessary to have a code, or agreement in writing so there is no mystery about what is proper and what is not.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If we did not have rule we wolud not need Police .FBI ,CIA .IA ,and so on .We need some guide lines.We have Adults ,women and children on the board that come and view this site.I dont think they should read personal crap from others.We are called Manhattan Reefs.com. Not Manhattan talk about anything.com.
I agree with the by-laws ,will they have consequences if broken (by-laws) :scratchch

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
jhale said:

the moderators, and other members, felt it was necessary to have a code, or agreement in writing so there is no mystery about what is proper and what is not.
I wonder how far this reaches, seems lines have been drawn. I'm seeing avatars that symbolize a well earned solidarity, does that mean i should do the same, post a flag, or something pro or con...NO!
...like in my own common sense I should not do anything to urge any other discussion or images
on/to this site other than marine life issues and topics and those related to them.
to let this escalate as far as it did, tarnished wat this site was, I'm hoping the work done by the mods returns MR to what it has meant to me and others.

This was/has been on my mind of late, I had spoke to one of the mods and told them i wanted to stay off site a bit, i said it was getting weird in here.

With all the buying and selling going ramped in here, I'm wondering if we could exchange some profit margin for some compassion and considerations.
For not just some but all of us, myself included....just M2C

thxs for listening
mike

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Mike, Ronen etc,

Will Rodgers once said, "common sense ain't so common". That being said, the by-laws are really designed to protect the friendliness and solidarity of this site. That doesn't mean, however, that you have to have that kind of relationship with every member, I mean, there are over a thousand of us. :)

So, these are more like sounding buoy's for when people are not sure if they are out of hand or crossing lines - keep right of the red and save the hull - know what I mean.

Anyhow, the discussions really focused on the foundations of what has made MR rock solid and one of the best sights in the area - all we want to do is keep that keel safe steady!

House

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jhale said:

Jon - I think you really need to think about this.

There are many different types of people in NYC, with many differing viewpoints. The best thing about this site, regardless of the type of people, is that none of that was displayed here. Whereas one person may feel one way about an issue another person may think another way. I understand people want to have solidarity with their religion, race, and ancestral country but is this the place for that? And I'm concerned that people are now taking advantage of one incident to express those beliefs via avatars.

Having a discussion in the nudibar is one thing but displaying those beliefs in avatars in another thing.

Please look at all sides of the issue and mod fairly.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Having different viewpoints is a great thing, otherwise this world would get rather boring wouldnt it. The good thing about the people on this site for the most part is that we can agree to disagree. Very cool concept.

But on the flipside of the coin there are other issues. It is partly the legal stand point. Every institution has their rules. MR's bylaws, like Johnathan said, will be more common sense and like he said nothing will be changing in the way we all go about on this board. But the one thing that should change is a "user agreement" It basically protects the owners and the site.

Think of it as MR getting a condom as it interacts with more and more people. That way it will stay disease free. :D

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
I see, I sparked off storm in glass of water , because something sounds logically for me and I copied this with quotation marks from some web site .
I using manhattanreefs.com for my hobby and I don't care what slogans people using below avatars , sometimes I don't read this even .
I asked jhale about remove me from manhattanreefs, people be bored and look for aggressions.
I do not have intention to change something from reason of somebody foolishness.
Sorry but this is plaintive .

amen

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think that any "community" needs rules. MR has grown from friends and family to a "mini-community" and we have all seen some rather harsh posts/responses that took things to a very uncomfortable level.

Clearly stating what should be obvious to everyone just serves to remind those that are a little denser than most, drunk or on heavy duty painkillers (like I have been ;-) that we need to be civil otherwise we may be asked to leave our little community or at the very least get a "time out in the corner while wearing the dunce hat".

Rules are OK as long as they are fair and fairly applied, I am all for it!

-Alfred

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Certain comments, avatars, posts can be outright inflamitory. These don't belong anyware. MR should be about REEFS not a place for me to stand on a soapbox and express my feelings on anything other then Reefing. Sites like Manhattanpolitics or ManhattanHateGroups would be better suited for that.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Perhaps a forum can be created for off topic posts. Even a site that is specific to reefkeeping needs a place for people to vent among their peers. As long as the topic stays away from religion and politics, unless a forum is created specifically for those topics, I see no big problems if done respectfully and with rules. (I will NEVER participate in a politics forum BTW)

-Alfred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: