Domboski

No Coral Here
I know I asked a similar question earlier but it seems that the posted threads are in the coral farming section and I was going to offer Grass Shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio) for free for those who can not collect them on their own and are looking for a live treat for fish or an easy shrimp to keep. Would the shrimp not be considered part of the program?

I understand that the shrimp can not be paid forward but I mainly keep Gorgonians with some softies and very few SPS. I will not be getting a lot of coral (although I would love a yellow fiji leather) but I want to offer what ever I can to help with the program.

Last edited:

Mr. Ugly

Bay Area Reefers
Yep yep yep. You got it! :)

And nobody says that you can't involve your sponsors in the program either. They're your friends too aren't they?

And wouldn't you want to have a sponsor that really supported captive propagation? That's one of the things we look for at BAR. Chopshopper or propagator?

All of this comes from our focus on our mission statement of encouraging education and appreciation of ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

Another thing that didn't get much mention yet is that DBTC can be a great forum for reefers to share tips and experiences with caring for a particular coral or critter.

:)

Oh, and BTW... thanks to BAR sponsors Reef Nutrition and Aquatic Collection for their help in getting the 2 boxes of frags packed and shipped to the recent MR swap!

Mr. Ugly

Bay Area Reefers
I know I asked a similar question earlier but it seems that the posted threads are in the coral farming section and I was going to offer Grass Shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio) for free for those who can not collect them on their own and are looking for a live treat for fish or an easy shrimp to keep. Would the shrimp not be considered part of the program?

At BAR, we included anything captive propagated. We had Bangaii's even :)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Ok. Well these are not captive propogated so I will run it as a seperate thread unless anyone feels differently. They breed readily in captivity but suffer the same fate as many peppermint and cleaner shrimp offspring.

Hmm good question Dom. my initial reaction is that while you are certainly paying it forward with this kind offer it is not something that the recipient will be able to pay forward. Perhaps better in a for free thread???? OR maybe you could write your terms so that the recipient is asked to pay something forward upon receipt of the shrimp?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Awesome info! Mr. Ugly! Love the avatar, I miss my angler :(

Tube? I liked you until the Flyers comment, not I am taking my foil hat and going home :lol2: :joke:

Actually this is great and I hope things can stay good and on track, it's up to us to keep it going.

:banghead: Now I gotta start growing stuff quicker!!

Domboski

No Coral Here
Hmm good question Dom. my initial reaction is that while you are certainly paying it forward with this kind offer it is not something that the recipient will be able to pay forward. Perhaps better in a for free thread???? OR maybe you could write your terms so that the recipient is asked to pay something forward upon receipt of the shrimp?

That could work. I'll run it as a "for free" thread for now. I don't want to complicate things right off the bat. The offer will be for MR Donors only though. I am going to frag one or two of my gorgs which will be a less complicated pay it forward. LOL

meschaefer

One to Ignore

I understand that the shrimp can not be paid forward but I mainly keep Gorgonians with some softies and very few SPS. I will not be getting a lot of coral (although I would love a yellow fiji leather) but I want to offer what ever I can to help with the program.

This is a good reason to have a dedicated Forum for the DBTC. There is no reason that you can't tag it with the DBTC tag. In order to get things moving, I required that the individual receiving the item post something else within the DBTC framework.

tuberider

Bay Area Reefers
Oh, and BTW... thanks to BAR sponsors Reef Nutrition and Aquatic Collection for their help in getting the 2 boxes of frags packed and shipped to the recent MR swap!
And Aquatic Central for the box and peanuts.:tongue1:

Good to see MR making the move to DBTC in a swift manner, youse guys are on it. Captive propagation is the future of the hobby:thrash:

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer

Thanks but Jeremy did it all on his own with very little actual help from me other then advise. I got so busy I couldn't coordinate the shipment and when I did Jeremy had all ready shipped it an hour prior :lol: You can thank Aquatic Central for helping though:D

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Thanks but Jeremy did it all on his own with very little actual help from me other then advise. I got so busy I couldn't coordinate the shipment and when I did Jeremy had all ready shipped it an hour prior :lol: You can thank Aquatic Central for helping though:D

I provided the FedEx account number! :D .... ooo gotta not forget that! :D

Now go pack Gresh! :D

latino277

Advanced Reefer
I think we should come up with some guild lines (to be a sticky post in the new forum... when it's made.)

1. list of example rules for the donor should/can set in his or her thread
  2. No $$$ value should be discusted in DBTC thread unless shipping is being discussed
  3. Should a donor loss the colony (tank crash/rtn/stn/ETc.)that was donated, they should be the 1st to get a frag from the "Strain"/"blood line"(what ever the right word is :eek:) of coral donated. -> I think this is only fair to the donor and I think is something most do already. I have dozens of threads about tank crashes and the community comming together to get a reefer back up and running.
  4. what else????

I think we should come up with some guild lines (to be a sticky post in the new forum... when it's made.)

1. list of example rules for the donor should/can set in his or her thread
  2. No $$$ value should be discusted in DBTC thread unless shipping is being discussed
  3. Should a donor loss the colony (tank crash/rtn/stn/ETc.)that was donated, they should be the 1st to get a frag from the "Strain"/"blood line"(what ever the right word is :eek:) of coral donated. -> I think this is only fair to the donor and I think is something most do already. I have dozens of threads about tank crashes and the community comming together to get a reefer back up and running.
  4. what else????
Patience please its in the works:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: