P

Pedro

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I still do not get why they keep making them with the serial connection. That is so retarded!

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I'll let you know when I get home. :D

I just sent an email to Neptune to follow up. I'll let you know if they reply.

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I still do not get why they keep making them with the serial connection. That is so retarded!

I am guessing $$, he needs to develop new interface to use off the shelf USB chips. the only unit that needs it is the AcJr, and he can't continue to beat the other guys' price if he needs add more functions to it.

The cheaper solution is to buy a USB to serial connector, I think they are less than $15.

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
You can still set it up without the serial cable. Did you try yet?

Here's the email from Neptune after I bitched...

We moved the order way ahead of other orders since it was a drop ship. If we kept it in the order that it was entered into our system it would still be another month before it ships.

Last edited:

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
acjr

Hi! Deanos,
I purchased a ACjr, but I am having trouble setting up. Do I need to get a outlet box with a telephone jack? The control interface is the outlet box?
I did not buy the dc4 or dc8 are those needed to program the unit? I have the base unit with temp probe & serial port.

thanks,

danny

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
If you didn't get the dc8 or dc4 then you need the control interface for x10, if that's what you are referring to. The telephone line from the controller hooks up to it.

You can program it without anything, but what is there to control? lol

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
From Neptune's AquaController Jr. page:

Control Options

Like the entire AquaController product line, both X10 and/or hardwired control options are available. For new installations we recommend a hardwired installation. Up to 3 Direct Connect 4s (DC4) or Direct Connect 4 Heavy Dutys (DC4HD), or 1 DC8 and 1 DC4/DC4HD can be used with the AquaController Jr if a hardwired control solution is desired. The DC boxes connect directly to the AquaController through a standard 4 conductor telephone cable. With 3 DC4HDs connected 12 different devices can be controlled independently, with a maximum total power dissappation of approximately 3 * 120 * 15 = 5400 Watts. No X10 modules or interfaces are required if Direct Connect control boxes are used.
For X10 control, the AquaController sends a digital signal to the control interface (part number IM513) which places a small RF signal onto the powerlines in your home. The control modules (typically part number CM466) receive this X10 signal over the power lines, and if the code matches the user settable address the module is turned on or off. Up to 12 control modules can be controlled with the AquaController Jr.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Just curious Danny, how were you planning on controlling anything in the tank without buying either of the modules? Just curious, that's all.

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
AC jr

Pedro I saw someone selling the AC jr on this site, brand new with manual,temp probe & serial port for $100. The person did not tell me I would need anything else.

Deanos I have e-mailed the person that sold me the unit because he has a dc4 for $100 & dc4hd for $125. hopefully he gets back to me by next week. he usually responds right away so I guess maybe he is out of town.
If he does not have the units then I will order a dc8 & I will let you know.
for $100 or $125, I would take one of his because no shipping & would save us about $35.

danny

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
LMAO....I just finished sending him an email about the DC4. I didn't know you got your controller from him too. Oh well, you're probably first in line anyway. Wouldn't you need more than 4 controllable outlets anyway? :scratch:

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Danny, Understood. Get the dc8, there will always be something you want to plug in. 4 is just too little.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: