• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
yea next time I go to my LFS I'm gonna look for something smaller and just return this for a store credit.....thanks. I'll be going away to South Carolina to visit my father this week when I get back I'll be filling my tank up...FINALLY!

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
figured out how to fit the Rena 50w in the filter! Just need to remove the bottom piece that you use as in intake (you can use the Rena heater as the filter intake on a Rena filter) and remove the media basket and BOOM it fits.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm still down south but when I get back Sunday night I'm gonna move everything around and I'll take a few pictures. I can also place the sensor for the thermometer in there so all you'll see in the tank is the filter intake and powerhead.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
391925_10151155707140114_832220113_22272037_233755082_n.jpg

397511_10151155708230114_832220113_22272055_2074988702_n.jpg

399668_10151155707295114_832220113_22272038_1358496911_n.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
finally got some picture for you guys of how I have everything tucked away in my filter area. sorry for the terrible quality my BlackBerry has a terrible camera but you get the idea. Heater is tucked away with just a sponge and I have the sensor for the thermometer sitting in there as well.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
soooo I'm finally making moves. I moved the TV up on my wall so I have some clearance between the tank and bottom of the TV. I also went to my LFS and got some water since I don't want to bother mixing my own especially since I'm new at this. Found 2 jugs of this water for $10.99 each. Now that would get me to 4 gallons take away the volume sand and live rock takes up well see how much more is needed to top it off...prob just RO water will be needed which is 70 cents per gallon at my LFS.

Still can't decided on sand...opinions?

pPETS-9424961t400.jpg

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
soooo I'm finally making moves. I moved the TV up on my wall so I have some clearance between the tank and bottom of the TV. I also went to my LFS and got some water since I don't want to bother mixing my own especially since I'm new at this. Found 2 jugs of this water for $10.99 each. Now that would get me to 4 gallons take away the volume sand and live rock takes up well see how much more is needed to top it off...prob just RO water will be needed which is 70 cents per gallon at my LFS.

Still can't decided on sand...opinions?

RO/DI is .60 a gallon at tropical island in deer park (even at .70 it's nothing). If you buy salt to start off with you can get a small box of reef crystals for like $10.00. So for approximately $6.00 worth of water and salt you can get started. Then you just need to worry about top off's with RO/DI (I keep a separate gallon of it on the side) and water changes. And you know exactly what is going into your tank.

With that stuff, you're at $22.00 and you still need more to fill the tank.

It is very easy to mix salt and water. Drop a heater in a 5gallon bucket and leave it over night, once warm add approx 2.5 cups of salt into the warm water, mix, check salinity and pour. A lot of people use powerheads to mix their water, I personally do not. It really is very simple to do and the first time you do it, you will realize it's no trouble at all.

Last edited:

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
thanks a lot I appreciate it! I will use these empty 2 gallon jugs for RO water and top off as needed. Just not sure on which sand I wanna go with but I know I'm gonna use about 10 pounds and 7-8 pounds of live rock. I want a fine whiter sand that won't kick up too much.

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am not sure of which sand would be best for your wants. I used a 10lb bag of live sand in mine from an LFS and it is certainly not the finer kind.

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? I originally purchased an instant ocean hydrometer and it was .03/.04 off. Before I added any livestock, I brought a water sample with me to the store and had them check the salinity and I was reading too high. It can't hurt to have them check your salinity when you're ready just so you know how accurate (or inaccurate in my case) your meter is.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: