• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
-Rena 50w heater (hidden in filter)

You know the filter compartment is super small.
Interested in how it going to work

If you google edge filter heater mod. You may find some interesting ways to make it fit
I gave up and got a black heater to put on the black back wall.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
saw this on Picod's build thread...

DSC02431.jpg

DSC02430.jpg

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Two quick questions...one is how long are your lights on during the day/night?

Second, I was gonna just steal 6 gallons of water from my uncles 180 reef tank to put in my tank or buy 6 gallons of pre-made water. Either way, when doing water changes or topping off my tank, can I just top it off with RO water from my LFS? If so, how long can I keep a jug of that water and do I need to prep it in anyway before putting it in my tank?

I have the LED Savior from Wingo and turn them on as follows:

Blue LEDs - about 10 hours a day by itself
Blue and White LEDs - about 4 hours a day
Blue by itself again - 10 hours - During this time, it is dimmed really low so it acts as moonlight.
I think the lighting all depends on what you are planning to keep. I just have a few frags of zoas and a couple other pieces. They seem to be doing well with my lighting schedule.

I usually top off every 2 days with RO water. My tank usually just takes 1 cup of water for top offs so I just top off on demand as opposed to storing RO water.

Good luck with your build.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
thanks for the feedback. I picked up a tank tonight from Petsmart which was totally unplanned. Tank was in a dusty box that was all torn so it was only $100 instead of the normal price. I'll post some pictures tomorrow and I'm gonna send Wingo a PM about a light. Gonna order my heater/powerhead this week as well....needless to say I'm excited to get going on my build haha

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
IMHO, I don't think that is sufficient. I have a 50watt in my tank and I think that's the way to go. I know some of the other Edge members on here also have 50watt heaters.
Some of those mini heaters come preset with a certain temperature and cannot be adjusted. Also, they would only be able to handle a tank that needs to be heated up by a few degrees.

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I received my light from wingo last week. A word of advice, if you don't need to keep it as is, notch out the stock light bar to hold wingo's fixture. You will get a much better light spread and it will keep the light much further from the water. Overall it is very nice and my corals have responded quite positively to it.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
thanks for the tip! I'll do that now actually lol

EDIT: tank is still empty I'm waiting on my heater/powerhead to come in I've got a little OCD and wanna have it all setup before I fill it...don't ask lol

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Wait until you have the fixture in hand before you cut away the light bar. You don't want to cut away too much.

Basically, you will want to cut out just enough so the bar sits snuggly inside wile maintaining as much of the structure to support the weight.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: