asianer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Tank set-up party!! :party:

Hi everyone!!! My name is Shannon and I really really really need help setting up my new tank. I recently got a 75 gallon tank as a gift and I've no idea how to start it up. I would love to have corals and a few fish... I have been researching a lot and so many people say so many different things that it's just confusing me even more!!! = ( All I know so far is that I need to cycle the tank (???) lol I would really appreciate any advice!!!

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I hope I didn't open up a can of worms.

Please note I said CRAZY sensitive stuff. I'm talking about stuff that can barely even handle minuscule swings. It's a case by case basis too, not everybody has the same conditions at home.

But who said the controller is the best possible way to set up a system? Most of the reefers and not to mention professional/experienced don't even use controllers (ie. Reefkeeper 2, etc.). Most of the features you described are practically built in to the equipment or can be circumvented with cheaper alternatives. Instead of dropping $200-400 on a controller, I'd much rather invest in a better protein skimmer, Vortech, or something of that nature.

I'm saying before even investing in a controller, the new reefer should understand the system's needs first as well as fail safe measures in case things go south. When I was new I was too overwhelmed with getting my tank straight, so take your time.

Ie. the equipment features I'm referring to...Heaters automatically shut off, Timers for lights, etc.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I hope I didn't open up a can of worms.

Please note I said CRAZY sensitive stuff. I'm talking about stuff that can barely even handle minuscule swings. It's a case by case basis too, not everybody has the same conditions at home.

But who said the controller is the best possible way to set up a system? Most of the reefers and not to mention professional/experienced don't even use controllers (ie. Reefkeeper 2, etc.). Most of the features you described are practically built in to the equipment or can be circumvented with cheaper alternatives. Instead of dropping $200-400 on a controller, I'd much rather invest in a better protein skimmer, Vortech, or something of that nature.

I'm saying before even investing in a controller, the new reefer should understand the system's needs first as well as fail safe measures in case things go south. When I was new I was too overwhelmed with getting my tank straight, so take your time.

Ie. the equipment features I'm referring to...Heaters automatically shut off, Timers for lights, etc.

Actually most experienced reefers DO use a controller.

A Vortech will cost more than an RKL ($99) and 2 Koralias combined, so that's a bad example.

Heaters are notorious for failing and will wipe out a tank when they do.

This is not a simple hobby, nor is it a cheap one. Every reefer that has been in this hobby for any period of time will tell you that stability is the most important thing in your tank. The controller is probably more important when you're starting, as it eliminates some concerns.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wow look at how many fish nerds come running when a pretty young female needs help.

aznt1217 that is horrible advice, you should probably refrain from giving beginners advice.

Shannon, listen to beerfish. A controller will make life much easier. They are pretty affordable now. The Reefkeeper lite is $99 and will control your lighting and temperature. It's a fail safe that will cut power to the heaters if temp rises, turn off lights, etc. Etc.

Heaters fail all the time and cook tanks. I will never have a heater in any of my systems that is not monitored by an independant controller.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Not trying to get into a pissing match but full disclosure to the new people.

Reef Keeper lite is $100. But then you have to get the other equipment it monitors and operates and the price keeps building. And the stability that you refer to that experienced reefers have, I'd assume they have dosers. Reef Keeper lite doesn't handle that. That would bump you up to $250 at least and the cost of the doser.

A Vortech MP10 only costs $150. Koralia's are cheap and I can get at least 2 of them for $100 (1,2,3, or 4)... if you paid more... then sorry.

Yea Heaters are notorious for failing and wipe out tanks... but the heater can still fail even if it's hooked up to a reefkeeper... the heater would still be there.

Yes, you're right the hobby isn't cheap. But get the basic equipment down first and the tank up and running. Then worry about the controller, those can be added on.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Wow look at how many fish nerds come running when a pretty young female needs help.

aznt1217 that is horrible advice, you should probably refrain from giving beginners advice.

Shannon, listen to beerfish. A controller will make life much easier. They are pretty affordable now. The Reefkeeper lite is $99 and will control your lighting and temperature. It's a fail safe that will cut power to the heaters if temp rises, turn off lights, etc. Etc.

Heaters fail all the time and cook tanks. I will never have a heater in any of my systems that is not monitored by an independant controller.

True story on the fish nerd thing. I came on because she's a local.

I'll keep my mouth shut and my fingers tied from now on, but only for the sake of this thread not being closed.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0

Reef Keeper lite is $100. But then you have to get the other equipment it monitors and operates and the price keeps building. And the stability that you refer to that experienced reefers have, I'd assume they have dosers. Reef Keeper lite doesn't handle that. That would bump you up to $250 at least and the cost of the doser.

A Vortech MP10 only costs $150. Koralia's are cheap and I can get at least 2 of them for $100 (1,2,3, or 4)... if you paid more... then sorry.

Yea Heaters are notorious for failing and wipe out tanks... but the heater can still fail even if it's hooked up to a reefkeeper... the heater would still be there.

Yes, you're right the hobby isn't cheap. But get the basic equipment down first and the tank up and running. Then worry about the controller, those can be added on.

I think what they mean is a heater typically fails by being stuck in the ON position, therefore cooking your tank. With the controller, you can have the power killed to the heater if it reaches a certain temperature. Since the controller has no moving parts, its much less likely to fail unlike the heater which has a moving part to turn on/off.

But I agree, typically people get other equipment first, and a controller later on.

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
them fighting words wes.. goodjob (fish nerd? really?)
then imo, fish nerds use controllers(HA, flawless logic!)

From my experience shannon - take a look at local reefer's tanks and see what works for them. Then calculate what you think you need or might not need and adjust accordingly. You have plenty of time to choose to go all out fancy equipment or plenty enough to run a simple system. This isn't a rocket scientific hobby for sure especially since you don't want hard(sps) corals or any complicated fish. Keep it simple is my advice.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I think what they mean is a heater typically fails by being stuck in the ON position, therefore cooking your tank. With the controller, you can have the power killed to the heater if it reaches a certain temperature. Since the controller has no moving parts, its much less likely to fail unlike the heater which has a moving part to turn on/off.

But I agree, typically people get other equipment first, and a controller later on.

Well the perspective I'm taking is that I know somebody who had a heater explode because the power got cut suddenly which was rather unfortunate. That's immediate disaster lol.

But yea I hear you on the heater being stuck in the on position, but what we have to take into consideration is actual tank location. I'm fortunate that my house temperature stays stable and my water temp doesn't flux much. Heater isn't on most of the time :lol2:

Sidebar: I want to see those LED's and that new tank... geez!!!

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

Who said anything about a doser? I said that lights and temperature were the two big issues.

An MP10 is not enough flow for a 75g.

If the RKL shuts off the heater it won't do damage to the tank. If you set alarms on the controller it will also beep like crazy if something goes wrong.

This should be considered basic equipment. If you need 2 $15 timers, the controller will cost you an extra $70. If you set it up right in the first place, you have a better chance of keeping your livestock healthy.

Why would you tell someone not to get something for $99 that can save their tank? There's no debate or controversy over controllers. They're universally accepted as a good thing. Stop giving bad advice.

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Hi - Welcome to MR - Just read the last page of this thread LOL.
Have fun into the money pit, in which we call saltwater. :party:

I want a Reef Keeper lite - right now its back ordered on all sites :irked:
Have to wait since the manufacture is in the process of building more.
Dont trust heaters anymore - one almost fried my whole 75g fresh water planted tank.

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Who said anything about a doser? I said that lights and temperature were the two big issues.

An MP10 is not enough flow for a 75g.

If the RKL shuts off the heater it won't do damage to the tank. If you set alarms on the controller it will also beep like crazy if something goes wrong.

This should be considered basic equipment. If you need 2 $15 timers, the controller will cost you an extra $70. If you set it up right in the first place, you have a better chance of keeping your livestock healthy.

Why would you tell someone not to get something for $99 that can save their tank? There's no debate or controversy over controllers. They're universally accepted as a good thing. Stop giving bad advice.

Listen or read, stop saying "stop giving bad advice." Did you disagree with aznt's first post? Loved how you nitpicked things but w/e its the internet.
He never said DO NOT get controllers, he basically said its not necessary but really thats up to her.
According to this post http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/77128-anyone-have-sid-unit-rkl.html
even RKL can fail. Heaters can fail and heatup/freeze your system, but what if it blows because of the power cutoff? Oh great, it cuts off the heater, what happens in the winter when its freezing?
Since we're on the failing of sh!t issue, she should get a backup battery then as well. Do you have one?
Also, you keep mentioning stability are you talking about nitrates, ammonia, nitrites, calc, etc? Cause RKL can't fix those issues. Your main argument is with the possibility of a failed heater, that seems to be it. Then thats up to her $99 + $30-$40(heater) + tax/shipping = $150 for a timer and heater.

Again, its not blatant BAD ADVICE so cut the criticism. You may nitpick the contents of my post. I don't know you personally but you sound like a good guy, but im defending a guy, who helped me start up my tank and I have had 0 issues without buying a controller. Lets not clog her thread anymore, if you want to keep discussing send it in PMs.

Shannon, like i posted before, take the opportunity to check out local reefer's setups. Some run a simple system with 0 problems others run a complicated system with 0 problems. Goodluck

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Listen or read, stop saying "stop giving bad advice." Did you disagree with aznt's first post? Loved how you nitpicked things but w/e its the internet.

Yes I did disagree actually. If the tank is not reef ready, it should be drilled as it's not filled yet.

He never said DO NOT get controllers, he basically said its not necessary but really thats up to her.

I'm saying it should be considered necessary.

Anything can fail. The likelyhood of a heater and the RKL failing at the same time is very minimal. Heaters are known for failing.

Heaters can fail and heatup/freeze your system, but what if it blows because of the power cutoff? Oh great, it cuts off the heater, what happens in the winter when its freezing?
Since we're on the failing of sh!t issue, she should get a backup battery then as well. Do you have one?

I have battery powered air pumps for short term use and am planning on picking up a UPS or generator sometime soon.

Also, you keep mentioning stability are you talking about nitrates, ammonia, nitrites, calc, etc? Cause RKL can't fix those issues.

I never said anything about them. Does that make heat and light less important?

Your main argument is with the possibility of a failed heater, that seems to be it. Then thats up to her $99 + $30-$40(heater) + tax/shipping = $150 for a timer and heater.

What? You may want to check your math. This doesn't make any sense or add up.

Again, its not blatant BAD ADVICE so cut the criticism. You may nitpick the contents of my post. I don't know you personally but you sound like a good guy, but im defending a guy, who helped me start up my tank and I have had 0 issues without buying a controller. Lets not clog her thread anymore, if you want to keep discussing send it in PMs.

There's no reason not to get one, and heaters destroy tanks. Therefore, it's bad advice. Spend the money on the controller and be done with it.

Shannon, like i posted before, take the opportunity to check out local reefer's setups. Some run a simple system with 0 problems others run a complicated system with 0 problems. Goodluck

Some have been in the hobby long enough to know that a $99 failsafe is a no-brainer.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, I to, am a fish nerd Yes it was bad advice. Yes I have a controller. Yes I have battery backup. Yes I have a generator for extended outages. Yes I have learned the hard way that spending a little up front on a fail safe can and will eventually save you a ton of money down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ok here's a quick way to end the argument, if she had to decide on getting a skimmer or a controller which should she get first. Obviously the skimmer.

Second example, considering today's weather and potentially the temperature in her house/apartment right now, which should she get first, heaters or the controller? Heaters.

Third example, which should she get first a decent amount of live rock or a controller? Live rock!

Do you see where I am going with this? A controller is not a necessary piece of equipment. It is not essential to keeping things alive. Is it a very high priority for optional equipment? YES! but is is necessary for survival NOOOO!!!!!

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ok here's a quick way to end the argument, if she had to decide on getting a skimmer or a controller which should she get first. Obviously the skimmer.

Second example, considering today's weather and potentially the temperature in her house/apartment right now, which should she get first, heaters or the controller? Heaters.

Third example, which should she get first a decent amount of live rock or a controller? Live rock!

Do you see where I am going with this? A controller is not a necessary piece of equipment. It is not essential to keeping things alive. Is it a very high priority for optional equipment? YES! but is is necessary for survival NOOOO!!!!!

A skimmer isn't a necessary piece for survival either.

Keeping a reef tank isn't about what you should get first. You should have all of your equipment ready before putting livestock in the tank. I'm not talking about cycling the tank here.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: