T

THEDLO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol its all good. let this be a lesson! read till u understand, then practice lol. fortunately there wasnt any livestock in there. water changes. eventually the bacteria will consume the carbon but that would take months so i would do 30g changes every other day, 7 times. i believe that equates to a 100% change.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
afernandez, this is a new setup.. got the rock shipped from LAX. overnight bout a week ago, water was about 50 percent clear and i messed up... i was suggested 50 % water change and adding carbon.... bought 20 lbs of miricale mudd but i dont think i should put that in yet( or should i?) i added about 30mL of vodka... any other ideas?
I'm still wondering, was the rock shipped fully cured ? Or did you cure it yourself ? Btw, for removal of the vodka. Try 3 - 25% water changes, but do one then wait two days to the another. And carbon will also help rid of contaminants.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
live aquaria? if so they dont ship rocks with water = die off even with 24hr out of water. even if its "live rock" you should still cure. its not too late.... i think you got confused with active carbon and carbon dosing (world of diffrence). i would suggest to turn off your lights for now for less algae growth problems. do as these guys tell you make some water changes and dont dose anything yet.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Yeah, everything should workout buddy. Just be paitent and get all of the gliches out before you add any live stock.

I say, let the system cycle at least 6 weeks and if all the parameters match up to what animals you're trying to house. Then, go for it.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Do you have an ecosystem sump ? I started a new tank with the ecosystem miracle mud and on the secound week of cycling you would have to add the mud. The third week, macroalgea (chatoemorpha was my choice). Don't forget, leave your refiugium lights run 24hrs. Then let cycle for 6 to 8 weeks. The longer you let the tank cycle the stronger system is going to be. Meaning that it will be biulding up beneficial life for feeding your reef (zooplankton, phytoplankton,copepods, ect.). You can keep the light on your main tank off during this period. And if you want, on your sixth week you can add a cleaner crew.

Last edited:

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've read the complete thread. Still I tought. Maybe, you had something in back of that sump or some sort of hang-on. It's realy hard to tell by the pic where you're going to placing the mud. Can you take a pic of the area ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: