• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
ooo... i want special treatment also... btw where are the pics?

Ok...it wasn't actually special treatment, but my friends at Coral Theory helped with the planning and build of the new tank. All joking aside they really came through and kept me encouraged when I was literally ready to throw in the towel with this build after 3 cracked tanks. So for everything I'm seriously and genuinely grateful! :grouphug:

Skene...my grumpy friend...you get no special treatment, nothing but attitude! lol JK! Seriously though we ended up going with the center overflow, but cut it down about 2 1/2 inches so that it didn't eat up as much real estate b/c going with the corner overflow with the stand just wasn't a viable option. Didn't have time to take pics...literally put the python hose in the tank filled up to right under the teeth of the overflow and ran out the door. Been stuck @ work since 10am and not getting off til' midnight...no time for pics. Sowwy. :teeth: You guys thought I was joking when I said the deadline to get the tank done and up by Sun. night...my schedule is gonna be complete chaos for a while. :Yikes: But with all of these hours...FRAG MONEY! :Up_to_som:teeth:

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the 40B that I had cracked about an inch from the bulkhead the first time that I plugged the return pump in I had to basically start over.

How did it end up cracking? I just drilled an Aqueon 40B and it wasn't as clean as I'd like it to be. I can see little pieces of glass broke off but no cracks.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Grumpy? Pshhh... you must have me confused with someone else.

:fishhit::sgrin: Nope...all you...hahaha

How did it end up cracking? I just drilled an Aqueon 40B and it wasn't as clean as I'd like it to be. I can see little pieces of glass broke off but no cracks.

Sorry...never received a notification for your question...just noticed it when I went to update. I swear that when I plugged the return in for the first time it kicked and put pressure on the bulkhead and cracked. I drilled the drain and return and there were no cracks...the holes when drilled were 99% clean...meaning no large chipping or anything. A few friend's have said it's not possible...but I don't know...

As far as updates...tank passed the leak test...drained out tap water before work this morning. Was going to try to finish the plumbing but I am 2 pvc elbows & a ball/gate valve short on plumbing the return line...hopefully I'll have some time at some point over the next few days in order to do what I need to do to finish it... :unsure: -_-

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Haven't updated in forever...still a work in progress...have been insanely busy with work and haven't had free time for my tank...not at all happy with the rock or the T5's...coral is all pastel now. :( Wasn't even going to post until I was happy w/ the tank. I hate the rock wall look. Lost a lot of stuff due to crazy work schedule...lack of time...consolidated the 5.5g's into this this tank...I know it takes time...sorry...just really down about it... :frown:

DSCF1328.jpg

DSCF1325.jpg

DSCF1330.jpg

DSCF1329.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1308.jpg

DSCF1297.jpg

Even my anemone is lighter now...this was the before and 6 months into a 5.5g tank which is supposedly not viable for a nem to be in long term...maybe the switch from led's to t5? This is making me want to put my gu10's over this tank...

DSCF1215.jpg

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Looking good! You give me inspiration to finish my two 40g breeders. Should be up and running by the end of this weekend. I will have to make a build thread too but put pictures on the first page :P Sorry after 3 pages I had to skip to the last and looks like just in time.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Looking good! You give me inspiration to finish my two 40g breeders. Should be up and running by the end of this weekend. I will have to make a build thread too but put pictures on the first page :P Sorry after 3 pages I had to skip to the last and looks like just in time.

Good luck lol...I feel like I still have a million things to do to this tank to get it where I want it to be. Lmk the link to your thread when you post. About pics on the first page...just FTS, right? Otherwise it's a lot of clutter? I usually always skip to the end of a thread and if I see something that sparks my attention or an amazing tank then I go back and read the thread for...lazy...I know...lol. Plus there's a lot of 100+ page threads when the tank isn't even wet...lmao. No offense taken.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
looks good. glad to see everything is coming along. Just make sure that you feed the nem vitamin enriched food and you will see the colors bounce back.
Hope to see more good things coming from this tank system.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Nice pics , great job wih tank and keeping your head intact even though you had your breaking Points , well done

Thank you...I know...I'm trying...

looks good. glad to see everything is coming along. Just make sure that you feed the nem vitamin enriched food and you will see the colors bounce back.
Hope to see more good things coming from this tank system.

Thanks a lot for the pep talk...it means a lot coming from you Mr. Grumpy...lmao...I soak all frozen foods that go into the tank in Seachem Garlic Guard & Selcon & a little phyto...and of course variety...mysis, silverslides, brine, plankton, Rod's, cyclop eeze etc. Have a whole variety of good quality frozen foods...feeding lightly daily instead of everyday to try and get everything healthy again and to try to minimize waste/detritus buildup as much as possible...I throw nori on the frag plug every morning before work for the tang and it's gone by the time I get home from work at night. My anemone seemed so much happier/healthier under my GU10 leds...seriously considering changing out the T5's for the GU10'S over this tank...

I think your tank looks great! Great job!

Thank you! :splitspin

I happen to like your rock scape very much!:) You have done an awesome job, and should be very proud of yourself!:hug:

Thank you Awi! It means a lot coming from you! :biggrinpa So I'll leave the rock scape as is...

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Looking good my friend.
It's been a while since we bumped into each other.
Finally this tank is up and about after several attempts. I just don't know what is it about the 40b tanks. Shoulda gotten that rimless after all those cracked tanks.
Oh wait your little guy wants those firefish so you might be better off with a trim so you can have a cover for it.
I learned hard way about jumpers in my tank. Lost 2 two spot gobies in 2 weeks time. One jumped at the back, the other one was dried out in front of the stand. Looks like both did it at lights out.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The tank looks good and the RBTA is very pretty!

However, I suggest to put some pics or at least a link the most recent pics in the 1st post, it took me a while to find them. Stupid me-should have reverse the page sequence.

Thank you...it is one of my favorites...

I'll post pics/link on the first page as requested...it's no problem...just really busy with work...my apologies...

Looking good my friend.
It's been a while since we bumped into each other.
Finally this tank is up and about after several attempts. I just don't know what is it about the 40b tanks. Shoulda gotten that rimless after all those cracked tanks.
Oh wait your little guy wants those firefish so you might be better off with a trim so you can have a cover for it.
I learned hard way about jumpers in my tank. Lost 2 two spot gobies in 2 weeks time. One jumped at the back, the other one was dried out in front of the stand. Looks like both did it at lights out.

I know...we haven't been too great on keeping in touch. Work has been insane...I apologize. I hope all has been well with your tank besides the jumpers. I have to catch up on all of the threads that I normally follow. Hey...the first two cracked tanks had nothing to do with me...lmao...they were during delivery to my house. Actually really glad that I decided not to go rimless...a screen top on a rimless is hideous IMHO...I'm just going to cut a piece of egg crate that I already have and cover the tank with that. I love my Deep Blue with the black silicone. Rimless IS gorgeous (minus screen top)...but with a cat in the house and a fish wish list with known jumpers...no dice. Plus, I don't like to see my son cry and he balled his eyes out over that damn firefish and he never cries. Btw...how's that little princess and the wife? Must post pictures. I'm sure she's gotten big by now. Hope you're surviving fatherhood. lol

I don't know if I asked you this before but do you keep a log of your tank activity ? ( example: dosing, phos ban changes, carbon changes?

I don't have time to keep a written log, especially now, but I have a system in place carried over from my freshwater dosing/maintenance days...like every Sat. water change (5g on the 40), tank maintenance, carbon changed on the 1st of the month, phos ban on the first of the month every 3 months, cpe every 4/5 months on the 1st...

I'm very anal with sticking to a tank maintenance schedule/routine b/c I have to deal with so much chaos between work, kid's, lack of sleep, pure exhaustion, etc.

The best part is that I am able to fall asleep staring at my tank every night...couldn't find a better way to end my days...

Also on a serious note, booster pump ordered and should arrive on Thursday...I'm so ridiculously excited over a damn booster pump it's insane. Both fire hydrants have been open on my block for over a month and the psi has slowly dropped to zero and completely exhausted my media...have brand new everything to put in already once the pump arrives...so it'll be brand new again...lmao Luckily I had extra water made in advance or I would've been s.o.l.

The plan for this weekend is to clean up my sump...wiring...etc. Haven't rigged up my medical dosers yet b/c I don't have enough outlets on this stupid RKL...next on my must have list is my full blown Apex...:lol_large:sgrin:

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You know what's soooo funny to me is that I remember since I was a kid lol that the hydrants would be open all day and night on your block lol good memories I tell ya lol .
But good it seems your very systematic on maintanance , I have a reef app on my phone that keeps track of all labor and needs and it reminds me so it's all good.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
^^^^that's what's up...

On another note...booster pump arrived last night and it is f'n AMAZING! I'm in love...now @ 80psi and I replaced all cartidges & di resin...except for the ro membrane...of course. Making water for water change on Saturday...lame update...but I'm excited about it...lol :happydance:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: