• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had some problems with my tank a few months ago as some of you may know and im trying to get it back up and in order. So some DIY projects are going to be underway. Heres is what is planned not in any particular order

Moonlights
Calcium Reactor
Kalk Reactor
Auto Top Off similar to a Reef Relief AATOC
DIY Tunze Stream

Some of these projects require prchasing larger quantities of materials then i need for a single unit so if anyone is interested in doing any of these maybe we can split an order of supplies or if someone wants me to make more then 1 let me know.

Im probably going to do the Topoff and moonlights first then move onto the reactors and streams next week

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey Wedfr, i'm interested in the moonlights and streams,
Do you think you could give me a rough plan along with the materials so i know what i am doing?
Aaron

PS i have always been impressed with your skimmer DIY projects and was looking to make a smallish skimmer for my new Nano, i was hoping you could give me some plan as the two DIY skimmers i have made to date have both been miserable failures.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Hay wedfr,

How much would it cost around to built one fully working calcium reactor, including all the parts and accessories like calcium reactor, co2 tank, solenoid, regulators and etc. I'm interested but i need to know the budget first and i'll need some help building as well.....let me know, if that's possible. Thanks.

[ April 05, 2005, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: samksy ]

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aaron thank you for the compliments. Any plans you need on skimmers let me know. Id be more then happy to help

Right now im going to put the streams on hold as i dont know if im going to need them in my tank i just got a wave2k and im going to give that a try first. So the streams are moved to the bottom of the list.

The moonlights are pretty simple. You just need a powersupply a some resistors and the leds. I think im going to get some led holders and mount them in some acrylic strips so i can mount them to my hood nice and easily. If you guys wanna go in on some Blue LEDs from ebay i think we can get 100 of them for like 10 bucks, resistors and holders can be had cheaply also and ill make the acryulic strips free of charge. i have some scraps around that should work well.

Spykes, if there are alot of people that want to do a stream as you and aaron do maybe we'll all get somethign going. it would be fun to play with. Thank you for the offers of help any input on the streams is gladly aacepted i think they need a little more thought then what people have been doing already. So any new ideas would be cool. Kalk reactor is very simple.

Samsky, I got your PM and ill be gettign back to you with a price list on all the reactor equipment.

Ill be adding some pictures of recent skimmer projects ive done for some people

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rich i took some pics the day after you were here. It had just been cleaned and was just starting to build foam when you were here. ill post them up along with a couple 8-2 and 8-3 round ones i built.

Ill add them to the gallery in a half hour or so after i shrink them down

[ April 05, 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: wedfr ]

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wedfr,
I am looking to make a small skimmer for my nano tank, (26Gal)
I have limited cabinet height - around 22" and a small 10Gal AGA tank as my sump. Have you made anything around this size before? If you have i'd be interested in any dimensions or plans you may have kicking around.
It needs to be a fairly efficient skimmer as I plan on stocking the hell out of this tank.
cheers, Aaron

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
aaron im actuall making one now for someone that would probably be perfct for you. Its very simple. Do you prefer working with acrylic tube or sheet? obviously tube will make a round skimmer sheet will make a square one. If you havent taken a look some square ones are on that link i posted above

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
jay im about to place the order for all the stuff for the reactor. Ill PM you with all the details. So far its Me, Samsky, Possibly you.

Ill also send you some details on the moonlights

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Dan really nice work!!!!

I love the 8-3 recirculating skimmer. Something like this from euroreef would be like $700+ What was the total cost of equipment to make it?

[ April 06, 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Deanos, I am making the cabinet myself, so I will be sure to make it big enough to fit the sump.
I have a cabinet that I will be selling in the next month or two that will fit a 10Gal but it has fairly low clearance for skimmers etc. (its only about 18" high), not sure if your interested?

Wedfr I am probably better with pipe - less joints to make water tight. I'm also kind of interested in the calcium reactor but money's an issue, could you let me know the costs?
cheers, Aaron

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Deanos, Any size is possible nano's are no problem the thing is that they dont cost much less to make and all the equipment that goes along with it costs the same so if you can fit a normal sized one it just makes more sense. Especially if you ever upgrade tanks.

Rich, That 8-3 used some heavy duy materials 1/4" thick 8" diameter cast acrylic tube. 1/2" thick pvc plates. It all started to add up but definatly not $700

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
aaron and deanos ill send you a PM with teh breakdown of costs in a little while. i have to finish up a 5-3 skimmer im making for someone

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Wedfr, I'm also interested in the calcium reactor, do you mind sending me the cost breakdown when you send to aaron and dean.

I need a Kalk Reactor and
Auto Top Off similar to a Reef Relief AATOC? You have any pic of them? Let me know when you start, so I see if I want one too.

Thanks.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Wedfr,
I need to make a calcium reactor, and a new skimmer.
So include me in the plans.
I also have access to a lazer machine that will cut acylic in any shape you plot into the computer. It's owned by a friend of mine who uses it to make signs. I can use it whenever I want. I don't know if it would help make anything cool, but it's here if you want to try to use it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: