• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the DIY night sounds great.
what's the first project?
I vote for my calcium reactor :D
jk, I would like to see a protien skimmer
or reactor made though.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
wedfr i ordered the same prop and a 2' section of the same titanium rod posted on the RC link.it should be in one of the later pages, start from the back.

How does once a month sound to start off the DIY nights??except in the event the project takes a little longer to complete, like Danny pointed out in which case it would have to be more than one night--or day.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i need titanium if you can find any
the flow can be better dude wasnt really enough. maxijets are just too underpowered for big props

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
for the DIY stuff like cutting the parts could be done ahead of time. if there was anything special done for the parts people can talk about that. then the time can be spent putting stuff together.
Once a month sounds good.
when do we start, and where are we meeting.
how many other people are into this, should we make another topic in the general discusion section?
I guess we have to stick to saturdays and sundays so we have the most amount of time.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was thinking, with all the interest in DIY skimmers maybe we could make a couple, take loads of photos and I could make up a step by step PDF document with diagrams and descriptions and post it somewhere on the site so everyone could download them. It would even be easy for me to make up a rough and ready DVD of the build.
What do you guys think? wedfr and Jhale? as i guess we would be using your expertise or workshop?

[ April 14, 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: aaron ]

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Jhale, your friends laser cutter would be great to turn out a bunch of Keyhole flanges for the skimmers, I could draw them up in vectorworks or something similar and email them to you.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ha, i forgot about that, great idea. I just spoke my friend,
the machine is hooked up to an old window based computer, he uses coral 6 to plot the laser. he said any program that can output an eps file should work, AI etc, VW will work to.

For me can you make flanges to fit a 7.5" O.D tube.

the laser will even cut the flange into the circle. It should overlap a little so it can be trimmed down with the router for a flush fit.
so make any circle an extra .5" wider than it needs to be, when it's glued on the extra will be flush trimmed.

don't forget to compensate for the extra width when your placing the keyholes in the flange. sorry for stating the obvious, but that's something I might forget to do ;)

this is going to rock, man how easy is that, having a frigin laser to cut our keyholes with, ha
what else can we use the laser for?

we're going to have to have a thread with pic's for this build

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
jhale, Dont cut it with a mitre saw. Youll melt the crap out of it.

Do 1 of 2 things. Both on a table saw.

Either set your fence to the desired position, set the blade just high enough to cut through teh thickness of the tube 1/8" im assuming. And then with teh tube againast the fence slowly roll it. Kepping it square.

IF you dont have straight edge on teh tube to beginsith and holding it squarly on teh fence is not working well. You can make yourself a holder out of some scrap wood. Cut them at 45 degree angles so they form a V that the tube sits in. etc etc im sure you knwo what im talking about you do this stuff all day

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks wedfr:
I'll make some jigs for the tablesaw. I have to make some new cross cut sleds anyway.

do you think your coming in today, I have to go to BK this afternoon,

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
jhale no i wont be coming today im way too busy today. Besides i figure ill try to get things as cheap as i can. ill try to get the Just get it outta here price

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm going to need some guidance on the flanges, as I'm not 100% certain what I should be doing exactly. I'm wondering if you or wefr have time to meet up at some stage and talk over what we need, sketch up a plan then i could do the CAD work.
maybe I'll see you down at Canal street Friday, I'm probably going there after i am through with a meeting - damn work! interfering with my skimmer building project! maybe around 2 or 3in the afternoon.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
if someone has a keyhole they can outline that would be the best, then you could just scan in the tracing and place them in a circle.
anybody have a keyhole cutout from a skimmer or reactor they can trace for us?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
if your doing this on a cad program it would be very easy. Draw the main circle whatever it may be 9" 9.5" leave yourself a decent amoutn of material on the ouside of the keyhole.

Then plot (8) half inch diamter holes every 45 degrees with the center of each hole say 3/4" in from teh edge of the main circle. then put (8) 1/4" holes every 45 degrees centereing on th4 same 3/4" from the edge. And put them about 1/2-3/4" away from teh 1/2" circles. Then connect them with a 1/4" slot that curves at the same rate of a circle that is equal in diameter of where you put the centers of the keyhole holes.

I hope that wasnt too hard to follow, i know i tend to ramble

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: