• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
wow this is getting alot more attention then i though. Im not sure what everyone wants to do. So please PM me or post in here. Are you guys planning on building these yourself and just want to basically group order the parts or do you want me to actually make them for you? Im getting requests for both so just to help me keep everything organized let me know.

Im going to start keeping a list of everything.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I can build my reactor and skimmer, but I'll need help with plans. I agree with spykes, it would be cool to build them together.
Are you making your own design's or are you using plan's that are online?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the Manhattan Reef Build Project,
as cool as a frag swap. that is if you think a frag swap is cool ;)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
that's great, I just saw a reactor on RC that someone built from that course.
also, for planning for the build what tools will be needed?
I have a woodshop with most every tool. If it's needed and I can carry it, I'll bring it.

jay212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Wedfr,just let me know if I can get in with you and Sam and how much.

Hey Sam,what's up? Let me know if I can help in any way with this project guys.
Thanks Jay

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A group build would be great but its defintly not practical, Reactors/Skimmers take a long time to build. Everything that gets glued needs to sit for a few hours to cure before moving on to the next step, there are also a few parts that take some time to make/form. I dont know if anyone has worked with acrylic before but its not the easiest thing to do right off the bat so to have 4-5 reactors or skimmers being built at once and making sure everyone is getting decent seems is going to be impossible. Also You gotta figure in there is going to be a line of guys waiting for each tool. I have a ton of tools but defiantly not enough space, clamps, etc to accomodate 5 bulds at once. Also i dunno about anyone else with a shop but i dont want the liability of haivng routers and tablesaws mangliing someones hand who isnt very experienced.

I origianlly intended this thread to be a combination of group buy on materials, and posting of ideas,pictures, tutorials for everyoen involved in the build. And if anyone didnt have the tools or skills and still wanted something i would make doubles or triples when i made mine.

I told a few guys that PM'd me id love to have people over to help them with it but the amount of time it takes to complete one piece usually takes me the course of a 1-2 days becuase of the cure times of the glue so it wouldnt work. If peopel need somethign built id be happy to do it and if they just need some plans or guidance ill answer any questions i can.

Sooooo.... whoever is still interested PM me this thread is getting a little hard for me to keep track of whose in and who wants what.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Jay, Danny(wedfr) is gonna do the assemble job for me, he's the expert, not me. So i'm just sitting and waiting....lolz.

Spykes, i have decided not to make the hood a while ago. My money is all on the calcium reactor now. You can pm for a time to pick up your Acro frag....it's been a long time, if that thing doubles, you'll have to pay me double...lolz.

Thanks Danny for doing the assembling job, i can pick up any time when you are done...hhehae, just can't wait.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wedfr, I'm still interested definitely in the skimmer and possibly in the reactor (Need to know the cost to see if i can afford it)
I have another project I have been looking at on RC - DIY seaswirls. Not sure if your interested in that one?
Aaron

PS I have a small workshop and should be able to build most things but if anything has super small tolerances or complicated to cut or shape i might need a hand.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
aaron, ive been thinking about a DIY swirl for a while, i was actually just going to have it swirl my SEIO's but i never got aroudn to it. If you need a link to cheap motors for it let me know. Rigth now im not going to do them i have a wave2K on teh way and im going to see how it works out. If i dont like it im going to do the DIY swirls

Im Pming you now with some info,questions,costs

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok ive been getting alot of PM's

Here is the cost breakdown for the Reactors
CO2 Hardware:
Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller
Dual Guage Reg, solenoid, needle Valve
10lb Co2 Tank
Bubble Counter
Calcium Media
$300

Reactor Unit With Pump
$150

So 450 Total + Shipping on all the stuff

Im not doing skimmers but if you want me to make one for you i will, Just tell me a size and ill get you a quote. Ballparks are

5 Series $200-$250
6 Series $300-$350
8 Series $400-$450
10Series $500-$600
12Series $600-??? depends on how big

If anyone wants to buld a skimmer themselves ill help you with whatever questions i can and point you to links or places to get the materials. Just let me know what size your looking to build so i can point you in teh right directions

Moonlights are pretty sriahgt foward just some minro wiring Ebay you can get 50 blue LEDS for 10 bucks or so with resistors you just need to wire up a powersupply and however you want to mount them.

Auto topoff im planning on making something liek this. Ive done them before and they worked great. I havent gotten a price list for it yet but id say ballpark $50 for a dual switch setup
http://www.reeftek.com/reef-relief/index-products-aatoc.htm

Kalk Reactors, Ill do the same thing as the skimmers. If you need one ill make it, if you want info on where to get everything and need some tips along the way just send me a PM. If you want one made they are about $150 with the pump

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
it'd be pretty cool to have a group of guys get together, not to make several projects, but just one at a time, you know to share the knowledge.it'd be pretty cool to have a DIY night every now and then. i'm making a few DIY skimmers at the time all out of 6" PVC(one for myself, one for my father inlaw, and another for a friend).i'm using achilles1's thread from RC as a guide--

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473634

i also plan on making some of the DIY stream pumps that are on the DIY forum in RC (i actually just received my four props and 2' of titanium rod today)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253928

if anyone else is into this idea post on this thread, and if we have enough people we could all get together.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think having a DIY night is a great idea.

Joseney21 where did you irder your props and Ti rod from and which model props did you go with

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: