• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not much to sumps but definatly need to do it right and get the joints glued nicely. If a skimmer leaks a little not that big a deal if a sump leaks or fails you are in trouble

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Inside the stand it's 3'long, 2' high and 15" wide. I want to make it so I have room to get into it so the high on the sump need to be about 18" or so and the length about 2 1/2". I need to look at some tanks and see what sizes they come in. I really need a sump that is going to be able to goes about 3 days without need to refill it up. Right now it's everyday.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
why cant you do a glass sump that big. You can get those sizes at any glass shop.

I thought you were talking 10 ft long or something

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
10 feet long would be a great size sump for Michael's 2x260's

hey, then they can be reef tanks ;)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I want to get something is higher so I don't have to fill the water up everyday, which I'm currently doing. I do have a top off system but I haven't hook it up yet. I know know what is better a higher tank for a sump or a wider tank for a sump. Which will work better and not need to be filled up as offen.

I wouldn't mind the 10' sump, they would be short a couple of feet, but the additional weight just might make my have to relocate the tank down in the basement, but I wouldn't have to move them they would probably go right through the floor. :rolleyes:

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wedfr, do you have a source for the Uniseals you are using to connect the in and outflow to the main skimmer chamber?
I had a look on mcmaster but couldnt find them.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wedfr, sorry to keep bugging you with questions, i'll try to get them all out at once:
What size thumbscrews do we need for the skimmers?
What size uniseals ?
Would you use a seated O ring to seal between the flanges?
Is there anything else besides the acrylic and some PVC pipe that we will need to get?
Also I have a couple of questions about the actual skimmer design: I have a 5" diameter reaction tube so what would be the appropriate diameter and length of the neck? Also need a diameter for the riser tube in the collection cup.
I thinks thats about it. I'd really appreciate you helping me out with this project,
Aaron

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: